Chestnut Teal, Marlborough

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Sue D

Re: Chestnut Teal, Marlborough

Postby Sue D » Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi,

One more pic of Teal.

Cheers, Sue
Sue D

Postby Sue D » Mon May 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Trying again seem to have some issue with this pic.
DSC06437 .jpeg
Teal
DSC06437 .jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1341 times
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Mon May 09, 2022 1:00 pm

These features might be obvious when on site, but I can't find the mentioned bridge or toilet or carpark on any maps of the lagoon. Where are these in relation to the surrounding streets which are named on Google maps?
bradley_birdsnz

Postby bradley_birdsnz » Mon May 09, 2022 2:16 pm

fantastic to see that he is starting to get some nice head colour coming on. A very welcome sign
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Mon May 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Byrd wrote:These features might be obvious when on site, but I can't find the mentioned bridge or toilet or carpark on any maps of the lagoon. Where are these in relation to the surrounding streets which are named on Google maps?

Hi Byrd, if you head along Steam Wharf Road you reach the lagoon and there is a car park immediately in front of you - just as the road bends around to the right (this carpark isn't on Google Maps - but of you zoom in here you can see the bridge over a side channel). If you're facing the lagoon at the Steam Wharf Road carpark the bridge and toilet are to your left along the path. It sounds like the teal is being seen mostly around the bridge area, although when I saw it it was down the path to the right from the carpark. I hope this helps.
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Mon May 09, 2022 4:21 pm

FraserGurney wrote:
Byrd wrote:These features might be obvious when on site, but I can't find the mentioned bridge or toilet or carpark on any maps of the lagoon. Where are these in relation to the surrounding streets which are named on Google maps?

Hi Byrd, if you head along Steam Wharf Road you reach the lagoon and there is a car park immediately in front of you - just as the road bends around to the right (this carpark isn't on Google Maps - but of you zoom in here you can see the bridge over a side channel). If you're facing the lagoon at the Steam Wharf Road carpark the bridge and toilet are to your left along the path. It sounds like the teal is being seen mostly around the bridge area, although when I saw it it was down the path to the right from the carpark. I hope this helps.

Thanks for that. At the risk of sounding stupid, the bridge is where Watsons Road comes off Steam Wharf Road (just by the Rowing Club building)? Or is it further along Watsons Road?
Jake

Postby Jake » Thu May 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Popped out for a rushed scout - could only see five or six Gray Teal and a single Shoveler, as far as smaller ducks in that immediate area, between the boardwalk and rowing club. The back pond had three Black-fronted Dotterels. My initial thoughts are that the ducks have been scared by shooters... but I'll stay tuned
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri May 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Roger Smith reports no sign of the Chestnut Teal when he visited Grovetown lagoons a week or so ago. Instead, there were lots of duck decoys for the opening of the duck hunting season...
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun May 29, 2022 5:24 pm

Simon Lamb reports via eBird seeing the Chestnut Teal there again today:
https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S111564306
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
bradley_birdsnz

Postby bradley_birdsnz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:18 am

Bill Cash reports what looks to be the same bird in the same plumage present again on 20th March. The fact that it hasn't come into adult male chestnut teal plumage yet suggests that this could be a hybrid?

Be good to hear others thoughts.

Cheers, Bradley.

https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S131469311

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”