Chestnut Teal?, Timaru

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Oscar Thomas

Chestnut Teal?, Timaru

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:29 pm

At Saltwater Creek this afternoon, eBird list is exact location. Slightly larger and bulkier than nearby Grey teal, dark chocolate brown plumage with green sheen on head.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S112000162
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas_3.jpg
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas_3.jpg (463.88 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas_2.jpg
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas_2.jpg (282.82 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas.jpg
Chestnut Teal. Eclipse male. Oscar Thomas.jpg (439.05 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Last edited by Oscar Thomas on Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Thomas

Re: Chestnut Teal, Timaru

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:26 pm

We are now wondering if this bird could be a Mallard x Grey teal hybrid, as it would explain the dull breast and white undertail. It was not present this afternoon. Very interested to hear anyone else’s thoughts on the ID.
sjacques

Re: Chestnut Teal?, Timaru

Postby sjacques » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi Oscar,

Well done for finding this bird, he's an extraordinary looking chap whatever his provenance. The images are excellent, and I've pored over them a few times now, but still can't offer anything concrete. A few thoughts;

I can't see any obvious mallard influence in there; head and bill are too delicate for me, and I would expect some bolder marked flank feathers etc.

The white undertails don't tally with any dabbling duck that I know of.

The head pattern with bright green iridescent stripe towards the nape, and the dense dark-centred feathering on the breast are stunning, but neither quite right for Chestnut teal as you've noted.

He seems to have a mix of characters of A. gracilis and castanea, save for the lack of any chestnut colouration (even feather fringes), and those alien undertails.

I had a good shufti through the ebird galleries for chestnut teal, filtering thus;

https://media.ebird.org/catalog?sort=ra ... e,juvenile

Some birds in here that are a good match for the Grovetown and Travis individuals (and the Invercargill drake from Oct '18). Also multiple shots of a couple of birds by photographer JC that seem mis-labelled to me, and are possibly hybrids of chestnut teal with mallard/pacific black duck? The drop-downs for Grey teal and chestnut also have a range of hybrids as I'm sure you're aware,

Anyway, just some thoughts, and good luck to all those hunting ducks with binos and camera!
Cheers,
Sean.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:42 pm

Greatly appreciate your comments Sean. It looks like that some eclipse plumage Mallard males show pale undertails. Here is an additional photo of the bird in question from my partner Ela, where you can see part of the wing plumage.
I'm beginning to wonder if Chestnut teals actually have much of an eclipse plumage? Unless people just don't photograph them it is really hard to find a photo of a male on eBird that isn't in breeding plumage. This was the best I could find but it could still be an immature: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/269676151
WeirdTeal1.JPG
WeirdTeal1.JPG (431.06 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:16 am

Another curious duck. It would be the first male Chestnut Teal from New Zealand without a chestnut breast that I'm aware of but I'm sure that's possible. I presume those odd whitish under tail coverts will be replaced by something else when it moults. Ela's picture shows a teal wing with the broad anterior bar to the speculum but it appears to have a chestnut tinge where it should be a cleaner white in a Chestnut Teal. It also appears to have quite a thick neck but the angled bird in the picture might not give a clear indication of shape.

Nobody from the northern hemisphere is getting excited so I presume it will resolve itself into something relatively ordinary over time if it sticks around. If it does I'd like to see more pictures please to get a better idea of the shape and wing pattern in particular.

Ian
Cardinal15

Postby Cardinal15 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:24 pm

Might it have some Falcated Duck in it?
Wrybill

Postby Wrybill » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 am

If it was a mallard chestnut or mallard grey teal hybrid woudnt it have some form of speculum on the wing?
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream
Jake

Postby Jake » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:54 pm

I'm surprised nobody (unless I scrolled past too quickly) mentioned the size. Wouldn't you expect it to be intermediate, or bigger (assuming a bit of hybrid vigor), for a Mallard hybrid? It appears, to me anyway, quite within a normal range for the teals, compared to its company. I never think of Mallards as particularly big, but they're HUGE in comparison to the teals

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”