Immature whiskered tern new river/invers

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sjacques

Immature whiskered tern new river/invers

Postby sjacques » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 pm

Had brief views along the estuary shoreline whilst en route to the shellbanks for OSNZ count. Have relocated just now feeding actively at the Clifton sewage ponds. Stunning plumage, will post some photos shortly.

Cheers,
Sean
sjacques

Re: Immature whiskered tern new river/invers

Postby sjacques » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:55 pm

About 1030 this morning, making my way out to the shellbanks in the New River Estuary for the mid-winter count with two friends - had brief views of a marsh tern in flight, passed me quite close but against the light a little. It didn't look right for black-fronted - too pale, not contrasty b/w back and tail, head pattern was wrong and wings more rounded. The bird headed over the bank towards the sewage ponds which also piqued my interest as I rarely see BF tern there.

Carrying on, had a second view of the bird as it looped back around the estuary shore approx 10 minutes later. More distant this time, but better light. I again noted little contrast in the upperparts, and some patterning in the mantle/wing. Bird headed South, lost to view along the shoreline. I was beginning to think whiskered tern...

As we reached the channel edge preparing to wade to the shellbanks c 30 minutes later, the bird again appeared, this time seen well in flight at close range, disappearing far out over the estuary. Plumage and shape all strongly suggested whiskered, more powerful structure, bill and different head pattern ruling out WWBT.

I was considering returning to the estuary tomorrow to try to clinch the record, when, passing the sewage ponds en route back to the cars, the bird re-appeared and put on a show of active foraging for c 25 minutes. Stunning bird, systematically hawking low along one edge of the pond, up and down as if on a short yo-yo, then flying fast back to the start of its route and beginning again. Must have repeated this twenty times at least while we watched before flying strongly back out over the estuary.

Managed some passable record shots which I have cropped. Retained juvenile feathers in the mantle, sides of back and tertials. Note the strong bill, and '' pirate's eye patch.'' Having had a good look at Bradley's Waituna bird in the Summer I had my eye in for the shape and structure. Similar sized bird to black-fronted tern, but more powerful, deeper chested, a bit less floaty in flight, and less angular wings.

Cheers,
Sean
Mantle-tertials crop.JPG
Mantle-tertials crop.JPG (135.77 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Structure.JPG
Structure.JPG (79.44 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Overall best.JPG
Overall best.JPG (156.76 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:39 pm

Bird present again right now, viewing through the fence, SW corner of the Clifton settling ponds.
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Bird just headed away West for a jaunt over the estuary again.

Cheers,
Sean
20220625_130733.jpg
20220625_130733.jpg (728.07 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:39 am

Hi all,

As we all know, still images of an individual often don't capture the ''GISS'' characteristics that are central to species identification. This bird has such a distinctive foraging style that it has inspired me to upload a short video to youtube.

To vicariously enjoy the whiskered tern absolutely crushing it at the South Island's answer to the Okovango (aka Cifton settling ponds), make a brew, grab a couple of digestives and paste the following link into your local search-bar.

https://youtu.be/-Se53Q1xJlQ

Cheers,
Sean
sav

Postby sav » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm

That's a cool looking bird Sean. Nice work.

Does anyone know if this plumage has ever been seen in New Zealand before? I'm fairly sure that all of the previous 21st Century records were adults in breeding, or near-breeding, plumage.

NZ birds online doesn't refer to immature plumages at all, so I think it possible that this is a "first".

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:37 pm

The recent Waikanae bird may have been in similar plumage.
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm

Thanks Sav and Alan,

I had wondered the same thing, as only knew of adults having been recorded. It's overall paleness and bold head pattern were the features that first caught my eye when it was briefly seen in commuting flights around the estuary shore. Was very happy indeed to nail it feeding over the poo ponds.

Surprised to see a bird in winter given the migration pattern in Aus, as I believe these should be in NT or Indonesia by now. That said, wide dispersal in first autumn obviously happens in many species.

I haven't been able to make it back since Saturday. I've put the news out locally as well as on this forum. It would be great if anyone else was able to get onto it, and particularly to get some high resolution photos. It's such an interesting plumage, I'd guess Colin would welcome some photos for the NZ birdsonline species page?

Cheers,
Sean
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 am

Thanks very much for the thought Sean

Any different or better images are always appreciated, particularly for vagrant species where the NZ Birds Online image gallery has few good New Zealand images

Ngā mihi
Colin
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Whiskered tern still present at same location in appalling weather conditions at lunchtime today.

Cheers,
Sean
20220630_133027.jpg
20220630_133027.jpg (402.01 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”