Possible Bittern Communal Roosting at Ellesmere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Re: Possible Bittern Communal Roosting at Ellesmere

Postby Adam C » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:03 am

A report from last night. Vaughan stayed until almost dark and had zero birds returning to the roost. I wonder if the hearts creek raupo beds have suddenly had an influx of birds re recent activities at the Halswell mouth.

I'm sure a few will return but looks like it's definitely had an impact.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
AnnetteC

Postby AnnetteC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:39 pm

The Gun dog people got permission from the appropriate people to hold the event there. they didn't just turn up. I wasn't there but know people who were. But maybe areas need to be chosen more careflully.
AnnetteC

Postby AnnetteC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:50 pm

Jan wrote:Isn't that area under DOC control? I thought they did those gundog trials at the Creamery ponds. The latter have recently seen all the surrounding trees felled and the ponds are now without shelter of any sort. I suppose this site will now be a subdivision duckpond, how can this happen? There needs to be some control over where duckshooters do these events and eventually duckshooting should be banned, like it has been in Australia [parts of]. There's no need for fish and game to protect sites for mallards to breed. They should be regarded as pests.

I have been told They do get permission to hold the event there. They didn't just turn up there.
Last edited by AnnetteC on Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:57 pm

I do realise that this event has been held there before now. That doesn't mean it should continue to happen. There are better parts of the lake edge that could be used, but why in the breeding season? Why not before duckshooting starts in May?
The other site, Creamery Reserve, is a CCC reserve and it would be useful to hear what the future holds there? It is right next to a [another] new large subdivision in Halswell.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 am

Hi guys, just a follow up on this one.

I've made enquiries with staff at the local DoC office and made them aware of the incident, and particularly the response of some individual birds which I independently observed, and posted on above.

At this stage, DoC advise they are not aware of any permission being given.

With regards the questions on the Creamery Reserve in Christchurch City:- This is an important wetland site that supports a range of species and is monitored by CCC rangers. Unfortunately like a number of wetlands in the wider SW CHCH area, developers come along and get consents and water discharge permissions to develop sub-divisions on private land adjacent to reserves. When this happens, all too often the recreational and dog-walking demands of new communities are prioritized over in situ conservation values and open space provision follows community demand. At the Creamery the intention is to maintain the core pond as a wildlife habitat but there are additional cells being constructed by developers to facilitate recreation and handle storm water.
There are resource consent conditions and in some cases, Environment Management Plans, or Bird Management Plans in place to safeguard birds. These are only as good as the developer's adherence to them, or Council compliance checks. So - if birders or other members of the public see disturbance to nesting protected bird species or other activity that doesn't look right then please report it to the Dept of Conservation (who are warranted to enforce the Wildlife Act 1953), or to district/city Council or regional Council (via the complaints system) so that a compliance check can be made.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”