5 kaka near Hamilton

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
avianz

5 kaka near Hamilton

Postby avianz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:11 pm

Spotted 5 individuals flying around the Taitua Arboretum
RussCannings

Re: 5 kaka near Hamilton

Postby RussCannings » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Still at least 3 there on Monday. There are usually a few through the winter here though worth checking on ant breeding activity with all the (presumed) great cavities at this site.

Russ
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: 5 kaka near Hamilton

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:58 pm

There were at least 7 at Taitua again this year. We managed to catch and tag two of them. Magpies defending a nest at our proven catch site stuffed us up a bit, and a couple were wary birds we'd previously caught. When I called in last week to get data off one of the birds, they were dropping things on cars in the carpark. Today I got no signal on any there. It's usually about now they start to head off for the summer. We haven't seen any evidence of staying for summer or interest in breeding at Taitua. Some have made occasional brief return trips, but not stayed. Birds staying for longer over summer might be worth keeping an eye on.
We have now banded about 45 birds around Hamilton, Gordonton and Morrinsville and have had really valuable band sightings (because the gps tags had stopped), with photos to confirm, from south and north of Auckland. If anyone photographs banded wild kaka, I'd love to know.
Thanks
Neil

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”