Banded seabird

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Nakilad

Banded seabird

Postby Nakilad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 pm

Kia ora,

Today I found a beach wrecked seabird at Tataraimaka Beach, a few hundred metres south of Cape Egmont Lighthouse. It had a blue plastic band around it's right leg. The writing was MWATU 2021 1943.

I've submitted a report to the DOC banding office but I thought I should report it here too because I'm sure there are people who are interested.

I couldn't identify the species. The head was missing and the maggots were well into it. The tail was blueish with a wide black band. The leading edge and lesser covert feathers were also blueish and almost looked like fledging feathers, they were fluffy, but that could have been because they were wind blown. However, the primaries and secondaries were brownish. It was about the size of a large prion. I have gory photos if anyone wants me to share them.

Stunning beach, by the way. Not a lot going on bird wise, but a nice walk along a rugged coastline. Further south I saw a workup of several hundred gannet and black-back gulls, and a few white-fronted tern. There were probably other interesting seabirds but they were just beyond the range of binoculars.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Nakilad

Re: Banded seabird

Postby Nakilad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 pm

Hmmm. Starting to wonder if it isn't just a rock pigeon. Might explain the mixture of blues and browns. Also, it had red legs, and no webbing.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:29 am

Manawatu Racing Pigeon?
Raewyn

Postby Raewyn » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:58 pm

I think Jan is right. The pattern on the band fits what I remember from dealing with 2 live pigeons that turned up at Spirits Bay during one of our trips there a few years ago. The website with the reporting information is here http://www.prnz.org.nz/found-pigeons. Obviously in your case the care of the bird is irrelevant, but the owner might be interested to know where their bird met its demise.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:01 pm

If it had no numbered metal band on either leg that does suggest it is not a wild bird.
Graeme T

Postby Graeme T » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:25 pm

The band address is definitely what you see on racing pigeons and most likely a bird from Manawatu region. I have been sucked in by grey feral pigeons washed up dead on beaches. The ones with dark tail tips do look a prion if they are missing a head. But red legs without webbed feet is the solution to its ID.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”