[MEGA] LONG-TOED STINT, Lake Ellesmere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
gmckinlay

Re: [MEGA] LONG-TOED STINT, Lake Ellesmere

Postby gmckinlay » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:07 pm

Still present yesterday - beside a wet vegetated area closer to Clarks than to Jarvis. With early morning sunlight the upperparts looked distinctly browner than the red-necks and that enabled me to pick it up at distance. It then took some time to view the legs well, including a couple of periods when I lost it completely.
sav

Postby sav » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Hi all,

The Long-toed Stint was present yesterday afternoon, between Jarvis and Clark's Rd. It was with about 15 RN Stints and a mass of Banded Dots (and a couple of Pect and 3 Sharp-tailed Sands). A harrier put the whole bunch of small waders up and they disappeared towards Embankment Rd.

A long trudge there and back yielded nothing at all except a dozen or so Bandies.

This morning I went back and set off from Jarvis towards Clark's. Almost nothing to be seen at all - one Wrybill, one Turnstone, maybe 40 Bandies so I started back towards Jarvis and then encountered loads of birds - I presume this was the place where Fraser first found the LTS since both Pect Sands, 3 Sharpies and the breeding plumage Marsh Sand were all there. Unfortunately, the bulk of the RNStint flock was not there (just 6 present) and neither was the LTS.

About 300 Banded Dots, about 40 Wrybill, and 10 Turnstone were with the stints and sandpipers in a small area, where they certainly were not about 3 hours earlier.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 pm

The long-toed stint was seen by Phil Hammond and myself on Tuesday 17th, roosting with 471 banded dotterel, 49 wrybill and 42 red-necked stint in the Clark's Road area. Also present were 5 red knot, 5 ruddy turnstone, 3 sharp-tailed sandpiper and the marsh sandpiper.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:18 pm

Great views this morning.

As a note the bird is starting to colour up and really stands out from the RNS in the right light. Magic encounter this morning with the birds happily feeding around me while I was 'crocodiled' in the mud.

Sharp-Tailed Sandpipers also doing courtship displays and some incredible little dog-fight flying displays between some of the Red-Necked Stint that I haven't seen before.
RNS3 f.jpg
Red-Necked Stint
RNS3 f.jpg (306.98 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Sharpie 1f.jpg
Sharpie
Sharpie 1f.jpg (338.2 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Long Toed Stint 1f.jpg
Long-Toed Stint
Long Toed Stint 1f.jpg (330.13 KiB) Viewed 449 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Stevex2

Postby Stevex2 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:47 pm

Stunning pics Adam

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”