Osprey in Whangaparoa ?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian McLean

Osprey in Whangaparoa ?

Postby Ian McLean » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:47 am

Hi there
A message from Adrian Riegen

"Morning folks

I had an Aussie birder on the phone just now who says he saw an Osprey in Wade Road, Whangaparaoa yesterday. He is familiar with them in Australia and is staying in Wade Road. He did wonder if he was seeing things when he also saw a Kookaburra there. I assured him that was quite likely

I don’t do NZbirds or whatever it is so it might be worth following up and spreading the word. I’m quite sure plenty of people would be interested in having a look.

Cheers
Adrian"
Michael Szabo

Re: Osprey in Whangaparoa ?

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm

Hope the observer took some photos to rule out a pale Swamp Harrier.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:07 am

Michael Szabo wrote:Hope the observer took some photos to rule out a pale Swamp Harrier.

Michael, there are unfortunately no photos, as Kevin James did not have his camera with him at the time. He is from Australia & is familiar with Ospreys & mentioned that he will be submitting a UBR. I agree that an old pale kahu/swamp harrier is a possibility, but we will have to wait & see. There are a good number of Birds New Zealand members & photographers residing in the Whangaparoa area & many are out looking for it. :)
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:06 am

Yes, hopefully if someone finds this bird they will get some photos or video footage. I routinely carry my DSLR camera with me because I often see interesting birds along the coast where I live. I know some people only have a phone camera but if you've got some binoculars a phone camera can be used to take record shots through one of the bino's lenses.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”