Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Hope this doesn't affect the whistling ducks.
Testings of the blue-green toxic algae in a pond and creek is underway and Napier City Council is urging dog owners to contact their vet if their pet is showing any symptoms of poisoning after drinking or paddling in the water.

Warning signs have been erected and a vacuum truck is on site to try to clear the worst of it.

People are also being urged to avoid contact with the water as a precaution.

Napier dog owners warned about toxic algae https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... oxic-algae
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am

Currently at Anderson Park. 2 Plumed whistling ducks feeding together which I have not seen in a long time and 1 whistling. Have to say a lot more seagulls than ducks here today.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Ten plus years later, two of the original three ducks are still at Anderson Park. I've been visiting them for the last 6 years whenever I've been back in my hometown. Here they are this morning- 2/5/19
aLRSM-7520.jpg
aLRSM-7520.jpg (305.57 KiB) Viewed 188 times
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”