Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Hope this doesn't affect the whistling ducks.
Testings of the blue-green toxic algae in a pond and creek is underway and Napier City Council is urging dog owners to contact their vet if their pet is showing any symptoms of poisoning after drinking or paddling in the water.

Warning signs have been erected and a vacuum truck is on site to try to clear the worst of it.

People are also being urged to avoid contact with the water as a precaution.

Napier dog owners warned about toxic algae https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... oxic-algae
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am

Currently at Anderson Park. 2 Plumed whistling ducks feeding together which I have not seen in a long time and 1 whistling. Have to say a lot more seagulls than ducks here today.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Ten plus years later, two of the original three ducks are still at Anderson Park. I've been visiting them for the last 6 years whenever I've been back in my hometown. Here they are this morning- 2/5/19
aLRSM-7520.jpg
aLRSM-7520.jpg (305.57 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

1 plumed whistling duck present this afternoon at the main pond. Was only a quick look so second one probably still round somewhere. Was great to catch up with this stunning little duck again.
sav

Postby sav » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm

(Only?) one Plumed whistling duck present this morning.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 pm

One lonely duck associating with mallards and the like this morning. It was on one of the smaller ponds with the model oil rig and lighthouse.
20200712115355_IMG_3461.JPG
20200712115355_IMG_3461.JPG (366.04 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Liam Ballard
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:01 am

I first saw the Plumed Whistling Duck when I was visiting Hawkes Bay, 10 September 2020. Got some lovely photos both on land and water. Back in Havelock North for Christmas I checked Anderson Park on Boxing Day. The Plumed Whistling Duck was at the side of the middle pond near the bench seat. It was with some hybrid ducks and not as confiding as I found it to be in September.

Talking to a local who keeps an eye on these pretty little strangers, he told me he had seen two of them last year (2019) and then driving along the road saw what he was sure were Plumed Whistling Duck feathers on the road beside the park. He is confident that the second PWD to go missing was hit by a car in Kennedy Road.
The remainder seems to associate strongly, for protection, with the Black Swans which he/she quickly joined when I started photographing. I feel sad, seeing this wee duck, now alone without its two former companions.

Jim N
20201227_083056.jpg
PWD 26 December 2020
20201227_083056.jpg (536.54 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 am

Hi team, I'm heading up to Napier on 26/27 Jan to take my wife shopping and sight-seeing, and accidentally-on-purpose going for a walk around Anderson Park to see if this long-sought after species can be a new year's addition to my NZ tally? So - is it still there, and where currently is the best place to look? cheers and happy new years!
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:52 am

The Plumed Ehistling Duck was there on Boxing Day. The likely spot to find it is at either of the two northern ponds in Anderson Park. Off Kennedey Road opposite the St John building is a carpark beside the northern-most pond. Park there and look for gatherings of ducks, swans and geese.

The PWD is usually with the ducks and enjoys the company also of Black Swans. It is quite conspicuous even from a distance, a little smaller than Mallards, light chestnut appearance from a distance and with conspicuous white plumes on each flank. It is a confiding we chap and I have had it approach me when I was watching from a distance.

Good luck
Jim N
sav

Postby sav » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi AC,

One PWD present this morning on the bank of the larger pond - to the left of the previously mentioned carpark. It has been associating with Black Swans recently (maybe even one particular swan?).
Give me a call if you want company to celebrate your NZ tick, - Don't you have shops in Christchurch?

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”