Nankeen Night Heron Upokongaro

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Mandyjane

Re: Nankeen Night Heron Upokongaro

Postby Mandyjane » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:04 am

Stupid Question time but its bugging me. Is this small population getting any bigger ? if not why not ? Tia
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 am

It's a good question and I don't know the answer as I'm not from the area but the numbers of birds seen seem to have been roughly consistent for several years. Perhaps a local knows more?
Alan
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 am

As a local I am able to regularly visit the two sites closer to Whanganui City and can say that over the last 12 years numbers have not changed too much, possibly less now. There are also night herons up the river at Jerusalem, and at an odd private property along the way. We have always said that there is likely less than 50 birds in total, and I believe that is still true. As to why this small population is not increasing, or spreading, I really have no idea. A bit like the question as to why cattle egret don't breed in NZ. or why white heron numbers stay small, and they only breed in one place.

www.upics.co.nz
fras444

Postby fras444 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 pm

You wonder if their population would be on the cusp of explosion if a couple of pairs ended up somewhere like the mangroves of Northland or around Tauranga/Bay of Plenty... Regards with their current range and population around the world being that tropic area, I guess one of those locations would provide more suitable habits along with the warmer climate and more options of food that those coastal habitats provide...
The Whanganui river is a part of their habitat range but one does wonders how far down they forage (nocturnal creatures and the tidal/coastal areas of the river) You wonder if the Whanganui river, the location and I guess... as far as a nocturnal bird flies... Is the Whanganui population just a little too isolated in a sense. Is its preferred/current habitat just a little to small and has the population reached its capacity in it's current habitat.
If you travel up, you start getting into thick native bush with areas of extensive farmland which then eventually lead into that cold alpine environment, not to mention NZs freshwater fauna is a bit lacking compared to the tropics. Heading to the coast, with most of the river being populated/built up and looking at the surrounding Whanganui area, you have, which appears to be intensively managed dairy farms with hard and harsh west coastal borders, every little in the way of habitat, particularly sheltered habitat that I would imagine a Nankeen Night Heron needs...
You have to wonder if it had been Northland where they first started breeding, would we have a similar, slightly different or a population explosion.
I feel that you would have such a diverse range of habits from forest lined streams and rivers, farm land, swamp, marshes and small lakes, undisturbed offshore islands through to the extensive areas of mangroves such as the Kaipara and Puhoi. Bot to mention, there would be a more prey types on offer with skinks being more readily available, which from what I read, does makes up a part of their diet overseas.
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 am

Has anybody seen the Upokongaro herons in the last week or so, or any other location in Wanganui please?
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:58 am

The night herons are there, at Upokongaro, two seen Sunday at 3 pm. We plan to visit again this afternoon.

www.upics.co.nz
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm

Checked night herons this afternoon, two young birds showing well, one so close I could use my phone! This winter the three young birds seem to be showing themselves well, from 2:30 pm onwards, until the cafe closes at 3:30 pm. By the way, the cafe is open six days a week, closed Monday. It is now 12 years since we first found them at this site.

http://www.upics.co.nz

A47I4607s.jpg
A47I4607s.jpg (165.45 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info Paul, found them in a tree behind the house immediately adjacent to the cafe. Cheers.
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Had a great afternoon, along with Jim Norris, with the night herons and possibly the best range of photos I have ever got. Five were active, moving between trees, and later I saw two fly over to the Whanganui River in broad daylight and settle on a willow branch just above the water, waiting for the tide to recede and some mud to be exposed. Even discovered today how they sleep - see picture below!!

http://www.upics.co.nz

A47I5088ss.jpg
A47I5088ss.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Dave H

Postby Dave H » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am

I was at the cafe on Friday from about 1:15pm and had a good look in all the trees and despite hanging around, after the cafe closed, until about 8:15, I never saw a thing! I went back on Saturday morning and saw one juvenile bird in the blackwood trees behind the house next door to the cafe. I watched it moving about in quite dense foliage for about 10 minutes but never got a chance at even a semi-decent photo.

I'm not sure that the adults are actually present at the moment as the general consensus seems to be that they go "somewhere" to breed, unless they are hidden away there and are just being extra-discreet. The other issue at this time of the year is that all the poplars and other deciduous trees around the creek are very leafy and make spotting even more difficult.

A big "thank-you" to Peter, Paul and Jim for generously giving up their time to show me around - much appreciated and I doubt I would have persevered without their input.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”