Albino Sparrow

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
hipster

Albino Sparrow

Postby hipster » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 am

We live cliffside at Cockle Bay, Howick. For over a year have been putting out bread for garden birds and usually get between 20 and 30 house sparrows, this time of year (winter) augmented by 5 Silvereyes and the occasional Blackbird. This morning surprised to find amongst the sparrows what we believe to be an albino. The bird had no discernible markings, a very pale buff with breast being perhaps slightly more "pink", pink legs but dark eyes, no bib so could be a female?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Albino Sparrow

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 am

If you can get a photo, please post it. Sounds like a leucistic sparrow; more like this one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=654&p=2971 than this whiter one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=482. An interesting oddity either way.
hipster

Postby hipster » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:50 am

I do have a photo, not a very good one as my camera doesn't have much of a zoom, however, not sure how to attach it to reply. As I understand it, the leucistic sparrow still retains markings, "our" sparrow had no discernible markings.

Told my cousin in Essex (UK) about our sighting, she sent pic of a true albino crow that visited them a couple of years back.

Will publish photo if you can explain how I go about attaching it. Thanks.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 am

Will be interesting to see.
Check out this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15
If you need a hand after that, feel free to email of PM me.
Thanks,
Neil.
hipster

Postby hipster » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for help posting photos.
SparBino.JPG
Albino Sparrow, Cockle Bay July 2012
SparBino.JPG (45.24 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
CrowBino.jpg
Albino Crow, (or is it a Rook?), rural garden Essex July 2009
CrowBino.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
christian hubbard

Re: Albino Sparrow from chris

Postby christian hubbard » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I saw a black male outside my house a couple of years ago. you could see all the male detail in its feathers in different shades of black. It looked stunning in the sunlight.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”