Glossy Ibis ..... Marlborough

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Mtn Breeze

Glossy Ibis ..... Marlborough

Postby Mtn Breeze » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi all,

I went down to the Wiarau lagoons late this afternoon. More just to practice some IF shots than anything else. Of course, by the time I got down there the clouds had built up and the sun dissappeared !!! (Murphy). Anyway, not all was lost. Our local Glossy Ibis was out and about. This was as close as I've been to him so was gutted that I had no late afternoon sun.

Matt.

At least it's not raining !!

http://www.wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz/
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Glossy Ibis ..... Marlborough

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Wow, it is in beautiful condition.
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah - very nice shots. Well done.
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 am

Hi all,

Checked the paddocks down Hardings Road (leads to the Blenheim Waster Water Treatment Ponds and Wairau Lagoons) just out of Blenheim after seeing the black kite (see other post). Unfortunately no irrigating going on at the moment so didn't hold much hope of finding the bird. We stopped at the end and checked the spoonbills on the treatment ponds and all of a sudden one of the group (Mike) who was looking through the scope said "I've just seen the glossy ibis!". It had flown up briefly from the Ngaio bushes in the middle of the pond where the spoonbill roost and then disappeared. Changing angles slightly we were able to have stunning views of the bird roosting and preening in the bushes, with bright sunlight (for a change) showing off its beaut colours. Really good stuff.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”