Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Kaipara South Head

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
David Lawrie

Re: Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Kaipara South Head

Postby David Lawrie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm

No it was not displaying, it was frantically feeding the whole time we watched it which was for a couple of hours. It was originally in the company of 2 Banded Dotterel, and then one, and then none. So it had no one to display to, but it did not show any indication of display behaviour.
bobatkinson

Postby bobatkinson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Buff-breasted Sandpiper still present today. Went over at low tide and met Ian coming back from the site. Found bird at far end of the lagoon in the company of a single NZ Dot. It then moved to the flat area between the lagoon and the inlet and took up with the company of a pipit of all things. Same observations as most others. Quite nervous and franticly feeding but approachable with care and patience. Other birds present included the usual mix with an Eastern Curlew and Several Ruddy Turnstones for good measure.
Bob
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 pm

andrewcrossland wrote:anyone have any great lines I can try on my wife to get her tyo agree to stay at home with the 4 yr old, the 3 yr old and the 5 month old, while I disappear for a couple of nights to twitch this bird, and see the pelicans on the same mission? She's already got an ipad, a smart phone, and lots of jewellery - and those were sweeteners I had to buy her just to go twitching around the South Island!! (p.s.. don't tell her I wrote this post or I'll be in trouble!!)

You know ipads and smartphones all have planned obsolescence, right? Some people think it is all about big companies making more money, but it is in fact designed by the twitchers among their ranks who understand the importance of regular bribery to the proper functioning of households. One of those gadgets is bound to need replacing already.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm

bobatkinson wrote:Buff-breasted Sandpiper still present today. Went over at low tide and met Ian coming back from the site. Found bird at far end of the lagoon in the company of a single NZ Dot. It then moved to the flat area between the lagoon and the inlet and took up with the company of a pipit of all things. Same observations as most others. Quite nervous and franticly feeding but approachable with care and patience. Other birds present included the usual mix with an Eastern Curlew and Several Ruddy Turnstones for good measure.
Bob

At long last; another Eastern Curlew sighting.
Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:23 am

Andrew,
Another overseas holiday?
Nanny services for a month? Especially when you go off twitching the Solomons.
V-word? I was expanding on this when the computer crashed, the Pope-man overhead nodoubt.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:04 am

As reported I returned for the third time and finally got some reasonable pictures. No matter how well I think I know this bird I always get a good work out traipsing over the dunes trying to find it. Yesterday it was by the lagoon, on the turf patch opposite the car park where it was first found and finally it dropped down in front of me on the damp sand flat as I was crossing between the inlet and the lagoon. Apart from that first day it seems to have been very hungry so I guess it is still fattening up. It has been with a small groups of other birds especially over high tide but is still often found alone or with one or two Banded Dotterels.

Ian
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_291.JPG
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_291.JPG (98.52 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_305.JPG
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_305.JPG (106.09 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_388.JPG
Papakanu27-3-14_9999_388.JPG (100.49 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I think you're in love Ian ...
Suzi

Postby Suzi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Haha Tim ! Lovely pix tho ay ! Ian must have got down low for these. It looks like the same jiz/giz? as the unidentified bird I saw across at Big Sand Island north end, on short grass and sand a couple of years ago.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Tim

I'm not sure that all relationships are that healthy but glad I finally got some pix.

Ian
Cookeman

Postby Cookeman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:48 pm

I searched this afternoon at low tide. Sadly, I had no success.

Chris

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”