Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Kaipara South Head

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian Southey

Re: Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Kaipara South Head

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Sioux Plowman and I found the Buff-breasted Sandpiper this evening looking fine in the evening light. Unfortunately the forest is now closed because of the extreme fire risk. If you want to see this bird pray for rain.

Ian
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:56 pm

zarkov wrote:Before you head up that way, it pays to ring the information line 0800 732738 for updates on forest closures.

It only recently re-opened due to high fire risk, and could easily close again.

Nice to meet you there yesterday Ian.

I hope I didn’t spoil any photo opportunities

Bumping for your information.
harryhatman

Postby harryhatman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 am

Thinking of driving up to see this on Sunday assuming A: its still around B: there no forest closure

If anyone wants to join me from Auckland and split the petrol, then please PM me?

H
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 am

Helen tells me that that the Buff-breasted Sandpiper is still there and the forest re-opened yesterday. It was feeding on the Bombing Range roost site opposite the car park where it was first seen. Low tides fall in the early to mid afternoon over ANZAC weekend so it is a good opportunity to make a quick visit. As before the roost site and the lagoon both seem to be good places to look.

Helen also tells me that there are no bookings to use the range this week but keep an eye out for red flags as there will be live firing on the range in the future.

Ian
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 pm

If anyone is interested in twitching the buffy or crested tern tomorrow (Thurs 24 April), then please let me know. Sav and I will be leaving Hawkes Bay early and passing through Auckland area around 11am, to try and see both. Best to call me on my cellphone - 0274 426 638.
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 pm

For info on future Defense Force bombing range closures the contact Ph # is 09 417 732738.
Steve Wood

Postby Steve Wood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Just a quick up date to say the bird was still there today seen by Brent and Sav.
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:50 am

Great bird to see yesterday (24 April), present between 1200-1300 hrs. Directions to where Sav and I saw it are -

Look from the carpark out over the mudflats. Head in the 1 o'clock direction across the mudflats to the big sand dunes. Keep walking into the dunes and find the largest sandpan with tufts of pingao sparsely sprouting through the sand, and it was there.

Single Eastern curlew seen on the mudflats between the carpark and the dunes, along with two fairy terns. Lots of banded dotterel, oyes, etc.

Thanks to Ian Southey for the directions to the bird when we arrived at the carpark!

bstephenson__MG_3411.jpg
bstephenson__MG_3411.jpg (97.42 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

bstephenson__MG_3440.jpg
bstephenson__MG_3440.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
David Lawrie

Postby David Lawrie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Note for warning that the bombing range is closed before driving along the peninsula, there is a yellow sign, headed DANGER 500m north of Parakai on the left hand side of the road, from which a red flag will be flying if the range is closed. this will save a lengthy drive.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm

David Lawrie wrote:Note for warning that the bombing range is closed before driving along the peninsula, there is a yellow sign, headed DANGER 500m north of Parakai on the left hand side of the road, from which a red flag will be flying if the range is closed. this will save a lengthy drive.

That's why I posted the Defense ph number earlier on this page.

"For info on Defense Force bombing range closures the contact Ph # is 09 417 7441."

Ditto on the Forest information 0800 number.

"Before you head up that way, it pays to ring the information line 0800 732738 for updates on forest closures."

By the time you see the flag, you've already gone a long way for nothing.
Last edited by zarkov on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”