miranda today

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Re: miranda today

Postby RussCannings » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Birded Miranda at HT on Friday evening. Birds were mostly distant due to small high tide but always a lovely place to be on sunny evenings (much better than mornings with the light at your back!). No sign of the Broad-billed or Curlew Sand, but 1 RN Stint came out along with 8 turnstone, 1 MARSH SANDPIPER (Feeding south of the godwit hide), and 3 FAR EASTERN CURLEW. 35 Golden Plover were also in attendence along with the usual hordes of godwit and knot and a group of about 25 wrybill etc. A pipit called overhead, and a lone BROWN TEAL was on the Stilt Ponds along with loads of Grey Teal.

I returned to Miranda again on Saturday morning though unfortunately several hours after high tide so the main flocks didn't hang around much after I arrived (and many had already left). Saw the MARSH SANDPIPER briefly out near the shellbank but it disappeared over to the other side about 5 seconds after I got onto it. 3 SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPERS were on the Stilt Ponds and best of all were SIX BROWN TEAL. Also of note was a Banded Rail showing well at the pond in front of the visitor's center. (Once again, no signed of Mr Broadie, so hopefully next time on a bigger tide!)

On Friday evening, several Arctic Skua were off shellbanks in the northerlies, and this morning one was floating off Kaiaua.

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Grahame

Re: miranda today

Postby Grahame » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Four Pectoral Sandpipers on the Stilt Pools this afternoon, three F E Curlews from main hide, one Canada goose on the shell bank, two N Z Dotterel, then as the tide flooded in, the Broad-billed sandpiper put in an appearance.
Cheers, Grahame

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”