miranda today (2005-2020)

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
erikforsyth

miranda today (2005-2020)

Postby erikforsyth » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi all

apart from the chestnut-breasted shelduck at mangere and the brown booby at muriwai also on the 10th, we picked up the white winged black tern at miranda today as well as a lone rred necked stint and sharp tailed sandpiper. 4 banded rails at sandpit yesterday.
On our pelagic with brett rathe on the hauraki gulf we saw both parasitic Jaggernd a jjuvenile pomarine skua

84 species so far
best wishes
Erik forsyth
Rockjumper Birding tours
Ian Southey

Re: miranda today

Postby Ian Southey » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Out at Miranda for winter census today and was sent to count from the Piako River to Waitakaruru. Just about all the birds were on the west side of the river off Buchanan Rd and Moehau St where the cows had been and I had nice birds on a pugged paddock

Red-billed Gull 152
Black-backed Gull 4
Caspian Tern 1
SIPO 1076
Pied Stilt 182
Wrybill 210
Banded Dotterel 39
Godwit 189
Whimbrel 1

Across the Piako River I poked my nose into a few places and found 27 Cattle Egrets at the end of Shelly Beach Rd, also a tree with Spoonbills (24), a Pied Shag colony in the mangroves and a Black Shag colony in a macrocarpa.

A pretty good day

Ian
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 am

Hi all,
Just wondered when is the best time to visit Miranda. I see people go there throughout the year, but I wondered if there's a particular time of the year that you'll get to see the most species of birds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Charlotte
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 am

Any time of year can be good. Perhaps late summer, when more endemic migrants have returned and the Arctic migrants are still there, would offer most species and numbers.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 am

Great thanks for the feedback on that Neil, perhaps it needs to be a couple of trips then!
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:50 am

I think the first half dozen times I went I saw at least one new species I'd never seen before. And then the light and wind and tides are slightly different and it is always worth another visit.
Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:38 pm

In terms of timing, it depends what you want. If you are after vagrants, last week of September and first week of October according to some maths I did last year :) , if you are after a good number of common vagrants and natives, then late summer, & wrybill are winter birds if they were your focus.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:08 pm

It looks like they're back, or coming at least. Gillian and I popped down for an evenings birding and found these migrants. Tide was not fully in before we had to give up

635 Godwits
97 Knots
3 Turnstones
2 Golden Plover
1 Red-necked Stint
1 Whimbrel
3 Curlew sandpipers
1 Marsh Sandpiper

Some of these were looking somewhat worn and tatty but not as if they had just arrived. First returned Godwits for South Auckland were reported on the weekend of August 22nd-23rd on the Manukau and it seems like arrivals have been quietly picking up in the meantime.

Ian
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Seeing postings about Great White Egrets/White Herons has made me wonder if members are aware that there is one that has taken virtually permanent residence at Miranda for the last few months as it is never mentioned on their web site or facebook page.
Mig

Postby Mig » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Grahame, i'm not that great at posting links but if you scroll down on the photo section of the Miranda Facebook page, there is a photo of the Kotuku dated 4th july https://www.facebook.com/MirandaShorebi ... =3&theater

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”