SIPO on the move?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Re: SIPO on the move?

Postby Adam C » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Some great insights on it all Ian. Small hops compared to our Arctic migrants but still fascinating.
Migrating waders NEVER get boring. I think they are one of those things that once you open a small door into their lives there are a million other doors to go through to learn and put together little pieces of the puzzle and in a way the fabric of nature itself. Theres a connection to the natural world that migrating waders bring that nothing else does in such an intense way. That was a rather retarded way of putting it but Im sure you all know what I mean!
Last edited by Adam C on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm

My sighting was 2019 (not 2018) by the way!
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Just saw fifteen odd SIPO migrating north along the West Coast from Hokitika beach.
Librarian_On_Fire

Postby Librarian_On_Fire » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 am

(New member, first post). On Saturday 15 February 2020 between 14:00 – 14:30 I observed a large group of SIPO around 15 – 20 birds flying rather high in the sky heading north. I’m in Invercargill close to the New River Estuary and it is most likely the birds departed from there. The weather was very warm, blue sky with high cloud, light winds. The birds were very vocal which attracted my attention. Due to their height they were hard to spot. I could hear a few stragglers afterwards but failed to see them in the sky, they were really high.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”