First SIPO of spring

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Mike Vincent

Re: First SIPO of spring

Postby Mike Vincent » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm

You should be seeing some more soon. I saw a good sized mob take off at 1600 from the Miranda shellbank and with a great deal of noise they headed south.
Okuralass

Postby Okuralass » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 pm

I visited Shelley Beach (South Head Kaipara) and was surprised to see many SIPO enjoying the sunshine and the company of a few variable oystercatchers. I counted at least 100 SIPO on the beach and a large flock flying in a northerly direction went overhead. Are these birds which wintered in the north now on their way south or birds which have decided to stay put and forego breeding for some reason?
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:00 pm

A very early pair today om a paddock near Pebbleton on the outskirts of chch
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 pm

pairs fighting over new territories all the way along lower Kaitorete Spit today - again much earlier than usual, but we've only had 2 semi-serious frosts this year so far around CHCH when usually it would be -1 to -7 most mornings of the week since late April.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”