White egret Kaituna Rd Maketu

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Raewyn

White egret Kaituna Rd Maketu

Postby Raewyn » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm

This morning I was driving along Kaituna Rd from Ford Rd to Maketu Rd when I saw a white coloured egret land among cows on the landward side of the road. My impression was cattle egret but I really didn't see it well enough. I found a spot to park which meant a walk back to where I saw it and when I was half way there it left, flying towards the estuary. In flight I only saw it back on so can't be sure what it was. White egret, black legs, appeared to be solitary, and flew towards the estuary after being with cows. I'm not sure about size. When I first saw it I thought small (eg cattle egret) but when it flew away in the distance, it seemed larger (eg white heron). Neither is remarkable in the area, but not usually in that specific spot. I went on down to the estuary but only had time for a quick look and didn't see it. I thought I'd post it here for anyone else in the area who might be interested.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”