Glossy Ibis on Stewart Island

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Matt Jones

Glossy Ibis on Stewart Island

Postby Matt Jones » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Unfortunately I found this freshly dead Glossy Ibis on Horseshoe beach this morning, after a big North/ East winds last night.

I had a chat to Phred Dobbins one the senior DOC rangers here on the Island, who remembers seeing a live bird flying up the Freshwater river around fifteen plus years ago.

Maybe Colin has some more information. Cheers
CD146image1 2 copy.jpg
CD146image1 2 copy.jpg (271.83 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Matt Jones
Rakiura :: Stewart Island :: NZ http://www.mattjoneswildlifeimages.com
Ulva's Guided Walks - ultimate Ulva Island birding
Wrybill Birding Tours - great birds, real birders
Dean Hashmi

Re: Glossy Ibis on Stewart Island

Postby Dean Hashmi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

Either in November or December 2004, I spent a few days on Stewart Island. I remember that I encountered a Glossy Ibis right at Horseshoe Bay one evening, a species I was familiar with from Lake Scutari in Europe and various spots in N-America and Australia. Memorable sight, as I failed to see any Kiwis on the island (which I only heard), the birds with curved bills I actually hoped to see.
Phil Rhodes

Re: Glossy Ibis on Stewart Island

Postby Phil Rhodes » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Just checked my Southland records for Glossy Ibis and there was a report of one at Mill Creek in late November 2004. No mention of who reported it.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”