Wellington City biodiversity

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
ledzep

Re: Wellington City biodiversity

Postby ledzep » Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 am

I've mentioned this before, but including again as the daily show is quite good. You don't need to go to Zealandia for a Kaka show. There is a free one daily at the Anglican Chinese centre on Tinakori road near the Botanic Garden main entrance around 5 pm. Always seems to be 8 - 12 birds doing gymnastics and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Visible from the road.
Michael Szabo

Cirl Bunting, Seatoun, Wellington

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun May 22, 2022 2:27 pm

Not quite Wellington City but near enough. There was an interesting sighting of a Cirl Bunting yesterday on the coast in Seatoun, reported via iNaturalist:
https://inaturalist.nz/observations/117982104
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Sun May 22, 2022 8:22 pm

I recall reports from a similar location last year or the year before. Went looking but didn't find them back then. Maybe regular visitors to that area in winter?
CMKMStephens

Postby CMKMStephens » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:33 pm

was fence-combing for a particular species of winter moth. Found a Red-crowned kākāriki with its tail feathers ripped out, bleeding, and mostly grounded (still flapping but couldn't fly) on the outside of the fence trying to get back in - it was trying to climb the fence with its beak.

Would this be cats, or perhaps ruru/morepork? Karori is ridiculously catty which is a poor fit for the eco-sanctuary!

677.JPG
677.JPG (307.58 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

675.JPG
675.JPG (459.26 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

671.JPG
671.JPG (432.07 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:07 pm

Good views of a Falcon around 8 am this morning from Garden Road as it was flying (not calling) above Northland near Tinakori Hill. Good to see that Falcons are still in the area.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:54 pm

A little beyond the city limits, but it was lovely to see a pair of tomtits, 2+ whiteheads, a male bellbird and 1-2 yellow-crowned kākāriki on the Korokoro Dam loop in Wellington, plus the usual suspects and good numbers of tūī and pīwakawaka. An easy 90min walk in beautiful bush.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:53 am

Falcon flew over my head in Ngaio this morning, from Khandallah going south and circling over Huntleigh Park Way area and then heading towards the Skyline walkway and hills. Calling - initially harassed by a few Tui. Also Shining Cuckoo calling from the bush around Khandallah.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:30 pm

A Falcon heard then spotted mid-afternoon - "attacking" a B/B Gull 5 or 6 stories up at the intersection of Featherson/Lambton Quay near Willis Street today.
It was making the yaping call which I thought was the hunting call - but seemed to be more driving the gull away (there were about 3 gulls in flight) than actually trying to bring it down - but I only saw it for a few seconds before it was out of sight over the buildings.
Any chance of a nest at the top of one of the buildings...?

Cheers
Jim
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Good chance. Working in high-rise buildings in Wellington it is quite common for there to be Black-backed Gulls nesting on roof tops. And not always successful in rearing chicks. Conditions are not ideal and probably not predator free. Never seen a Falcon harassing them before, but good opportunity for it to do so.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:52 pm

Not a rare species, but today in Courtenay Place I was interested to see a house sparrow weaving through the air with surprising tenacity as it pursued a small yellow flying insect, and the sparrow did eventually catch it. Though I couldn't tell whether the insect was a honey bee, a wasp, or a drone fly.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”