Black fantails, Hamilton

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Bennyboy87654

Re: Black fantails, Hamilton

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Clinton9 wrote:To age juvenile & first winter from adult NZ fantails, you need to look at secondary coverts.

In adult the secondary coverts are black and same color and had bright white tips in normal, black in dark phase.

In first winter the outer juvenile secondary coverts are brown, tipped orangish-buff (brown in dark phase) and new middle and inner black 1st adult feathers, tipped white (black in dark phase)

In juvenile the secondary covets are dark brown and tipped orange.

Otherwise body plumages of adults & first winters are same and cannot be tell apart.
Neither the absence of white ear spots the sure way to age the dark phase NZ fantails.

wandering-albatross-in-antarctica-AT33CG (1).jpg

Bennyboy87654 wrote:I know that the Black Fantails have the white spot by the eye which is quite recognisable, but I saw one without the (or just a faded) white spot, would this perhaps suggest a Juvenile?

Thats some good knowledge to have, I'll try to use it in the future, Thanks for the info
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 pm

Was at the new Surrealist Garden at the Hamilton Gardens this evening watching a performance by national treasures The Big Muffin Serious Band (part of the Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival) when, during their bluegrass version of Smoke on the Water, a black fantail flew across right in front of the band. Think there have been black fantails in this area since at least 2006?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Nice. I haven't seen any over the past year. Always good to know they persist.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”