Falcon, Rotorua

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Falcon, Rotorua

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Passed on to me by a reliable source; one falcon, halfway down Long Mile Rd in Rotorua at 6:50 pm yesterday. They apparently bred at the old quarry near there in the 1960s. Might be worth a visit if in the area.Rotorua has quite a lot to offer birders.
ourspot

Re: Falcon, Rotorua

Postby ourspot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Just a had a falcon do a very low fly over us in the middle of Rotorua city (near the racecourse) while we were soaking in the motel hot pool. Was only about 20 metres up and just cruising along. Great to see one so close. Cheers Scott.
Mike Vincent

Postby Mike Vincent » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:46 pm

I understand there are a pair nesting near the Waipa mountain bike car park which is not too far from Long Mile. The pair that nested in Whakawerawera near Hill Rd are nesting in the area again this year
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks for the info Mike. Went to the Waipa carpark this morning for a quick look before we headed back home from holiday. It didn't take long before we heard a Falcon screeching from above the mountain bike tracks just behind the carpark and then watched it fly around the area for a while, letting out a few calls, before it took off away down the forestry road to the very back of the mountain bike trails. Great stuff.
Mike Vincent

Postby Mike Vincent » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am

The pair of Falcon that bested near Hill & Windy Rds in Whakawerawera forest have abandoned their nest. The area they chose for the nest is pretty busy with mountain bikers, runners and dog walkers. The dog walkers seem to unable to read and still took dogs into the area. The birds are still in the area and hopefully will find a more suitable nest site and breed again. Last year they raised two broods.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm

I've seen the female this week hunting near Sala Street between Palmers and the Cemetery. Flew noisily over a line of traffic with prey before landing in the eucalypts by the stream.

There's been a bird at Okere Falls too, hunting close to the Okere Arm of Lake Rotoiti all week. Did a low pass through my garden! Classic double take as it cruised by.

Tim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”