Bittern - Lake Rotokauri

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Liam Ballard

Bittern - Lake Rotokauri

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Just got back from a mornings birding at Lake Rotokauri, 15 minutes out of Hamilton. I arrived at ~7:30, and enjoyed a good few hours until 12 ish. Bird of the day was most certainly Bittern, with two birds booming in different spots and two more flushed by clumsy me :) . Sadly I was too slow for a photo, but bitterns are pretty blinkin unmistakable so I hope you will trust me.
Interestingly, both flushed birds were 1 after the other, first bird flying at about 10 and the second 5 minutes after. Not the same bird though as one was much greyer and in 2 different spots.

Racked up 32 species total, lots of passerines plus 2 Spotless Crakes, some Coots, WF herons and usuals like Mallards and Black Swans. Will post full ebird checklist shortly.

No dabchick surprisingly, but regardless this seems like a fantastic spot so close to town, and might be a good stop on future big days...

Please feel free to PM me for details
Liam Ballard
Jim_j

Re: Bittern - Lake Rotokauri

Postby Jim_j » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Nice to hear there are some close to Hamilton - given it is the middle of the breeding season though minimal disturbance of birds would probably be best....

cheers
jim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”