Lesser Sand Plover - Little Waihi

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Re: Lesser Sand Plover - Little Waihi

Postby RussCannings » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Well here are some photos (for what they're worth). All are digi-scoped (my phone shakily placed against my scope) in poor lighting conditions I'm afraid.

Here's the Black-fronted Tern--a Bay of Plenty lifer for me.
BFTE_LW.jpg
BFTE_LW.jpg (174.54 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

The next two should be of the Lesser Sand Plover, though it was a battle to get a shot when this bird wasn't preening or facing directly away into the wind. I worry that what I do have is misleading given the poor resolution and harsh lighting. Still, the first shot shows the short but thick bill, broad white forehead, and grey-white appearance compared to the brown/buff/golden tones of the Bandies.
LSPL2.jpg
LSPL2.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

This second (and even worse resolution) pic shows the contrast in overall colour and breast pattern between the sand plover (right) and Bandie (left). Size/structure is misleading as we all noted the larger size and slightly taller stance in the field (Which is not at all evident in this photo--perhaps due to deep mud and angle?). I had expected to find a taller, more horizontal bird--however after studying the 2 Big Sand Island Greaters, which were barely larger than Bandies, this would seem to be within range of variation for Lessers. Also note the clean white underparts and chest, and grey shoulder tabs.
LSPL.jpg
LSPL.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

So take the above how you will. Field notes might be more valuable in cases like this as our scope views were far superior to these photos. Unfortunately a harrier flushed the dotterels and wrybills about 5min after we found it and we could not relocate the bird after the birds re-settled.

Thanks Tim for getting the word out on this awesome place.

Russ C
Cambridge, NZ
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

The Lesser Sand Plover was still there lunchtime today, backed up by 7 Bandies and 2 N Z Dotterel and 2 Bar-tailed Godwits.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Is it coming into breeding plumage yet?
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Sorry to say, its not.
Cheers
Grahame
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Good work Grahame
Where was it?
I will be up there sometime this weekend.
T
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 am

Hello Tim,
Through the camp entrance, straight on to the end of the track and it was on its own on the left end of the mud straight ahead. I hope that makes sense.
Cheers,
Grahame
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Cheers thanks Graheme ...

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”