Beach wrecked Little Bronze Cuckoo

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:42 pm

Kia ora
This morning we did our monthly west coast Birds New Zealand beach patrol. This was at Muriwai South (near the gannet colony), as our regular site at Rimmer Road, still has no beach access. Whilst walking north, our six patrollers found 1 white-capped albatross, 1 fluttering shearwater & 2 Australasian gannets.

Whilst returning south on the wet sand, we found what looks to be a juvenile rufous fantail ? The tiny bird was found by Ariel-Micaiah Wijaya & Miguel Mejias & had been washed ashore on the receding tide that morning. I have attached four pictures for your reference.

My thoughts are that the bird is a juvenile rufous fantail. As you will see from the pictures, I have not washed or groomed the bird in any way, so the features may not be clear & I expect that the Auckland Museum will clean the the bird up to identify it properly. Some features are the rufous tail colours, brown wings, light underside & typical flycather/Rhipidura bill.

Interestingly, I cannot find any pictures or much descriptions about the ventral feathers on the tail of a rufous fantail, but the ventral tail feathers appear similar to that of a little-bronze cuckoo minutillus race !

Any comments on the pictures & identity of the bird would be much appreciated. I will be taking the bird to the Auckland Museum on Monday for identification & use as a specimen.

Kind Regards
Ian McLean
Rufous Fantail d.jpg
The bill is typical of a fantail or flycatcher
Rufous Fantail d.jpg (358.58 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Rufous Fantail b.jpg
Ventral View
Rufous Fantail b.jpg (602.12 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Rufous Fantail a.jpg
Dorsal View
Rufous Fantail a.jpg (511.24 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Last edited by Ian McLean on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davidthomas

Re: Possible beach wrecked Rufous Fantail

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:45 pm

Has to be a cuckoo with the beak shape and 2-2 arrangement in toes on the feet. Oscar and others suggest little Bronze cuckoo?
Oscar Thomas

Re: Beach wrecked Little Bronze-cuckoo

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm

I'm going for little bronze-cuckoo Ian (minutillus or barnardi), must be a young bird without any barring on the breast. An excellent addition to the Aotearoa list!
429997530_1138377804012883_3805463256464396063_n.jpg
429997530_1138377804012883_3805463256464396063_n.jpg (388.05 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Ian McLean

Re: Beach wrecked Little Bronze Cuckoo

Postby Ian McLean » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:31 pm

Thanks for your comments Oscar & David. Yes, I agree that it is little bronze cuckoo. Unfortunately, the rufous coloring, small size, relatively large tail & lack of any barring had me thinking rufous fantail.

I have now taken a more detailed look & some measurements. The feet are definitely that of a cuckoo, whilst the wing length of 95mm fits that of a little bronze cuckoo. The bill length is only 11mm & this & the undertail markings may fit that on the minutillus subspecies. Remarkably this subspecies is mainly found in the Northern Territory.

Attached is another picture.
Rufous Fantail c.jpg
little bronze cuckoo
Rufous Fantail c.jpg (571.19 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Oscar Thomas

Re: Beach wrecked Cuckoo

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:39 pm

Backtracking after an email from Alan Tennyson suggesting it is a Horsfield's bronze-cuckoo - this would make more sense for the lack of barring on the breast and the tail pattern also fits well, just the measurements fall a bit short as to what would be expected but this could be due to it being a juvenile/immature bird. Here are a couple eBird photos of similar birds in life:
Hors2.png
Elaine Rose https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/235168101
Hors2.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 647 times
Hors.png
Hayley Alexander https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/137092301
Hors.png (561.82 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:21 pm

Yes, I agree. I looked it up earlier and thought as much but wanted to check with Australian experts first so posted to the Aus bird ID FB page asking for comments on whether it was LBC or HBC. Rohan Clarke (co-author of The Australian Bird Guide) has now replied:

"It is Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo which is by far the most likely in NZ given they occur as far south as Tasmania and are currently on the move in eastern Australia as they migrate north. The rufous in the tail is broadly OK for both species but Horsfield's shows narrow black and white bars on the underside of the outertail such that 4-5 black bars are visible whereas Little Bronze-Cuckoo has broader black and white bars in the tail so that typically only 3 black bars are visible. Even allowing for missing and disheveled undertail coverts, the barring on the underside of the outer rectrices is just too narrow for a Little Bronze Cuckoo. The extensive rufous in the other rectrices is fine with the pattern of narrow black and white bars towards the tip of each feather consistent with Horsfield's BC; here Little BC shows a single broad black subterminal band (usually with white tips) across the spread tail."

He adds: "Here is an example of a Horsfield's showing those rufous rectrices with a pair of narrow black and white bars":
https://ebird.org/checklist/S144808776? ... 62eK-mIUIM
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:45 pm

A great find. Hopefully it'll inspire folks to do a bit more beach patrolling after strong westerly blows at this time of year. Its a species that probably turns up occasionally and simply missed. I've found them in "out-of'-range" locations in Singapore and Northern Sumatra from shrubland behind a beach to 1000m a.s.l up in the mountains. They tend to stay in 1 spot for quite a while and can be quite conspicuous as they perch in the open. Let's hope a live one is next?!
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:46 pm

I just took some measurements before I take the cuckoo to the Auckland Museum this afternoon.

These were as follows:-
Wing length 95mm
Tail length 67mm
Tarsus 16mm
Culman (bill) 11mm

These measurements are more in line with those of a little-bronze cuckoo compared to a Horsfield's bronze cuckoo & the bill is particulary small. There can of course be individual birds that are smaller than is normal for a species.

Josie Galbraith, the curator of Land Vertebrates at the Auckland Museum will be having a look at the bird, whilst Dr Brian Gill who has studied shining bronze cuckoos will likely also examine the bird.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”