Possible Plumed (Intermediate) Egret at Whanganui [probably Cattle Egret]

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Peter Frost

Possible Plumed (Intermediate) Egret at Whanganui [probably Cattle Egret]

Postby Peter Frost » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am

I received a report yesterday from Lynne Douglas, one of our local bird-finding stalwarts, about a 'white heron' that she had just found behind Castlecliff in Whanganui. She sent me photographs overnight and the bird looks like a Plumed (Intermediate) Egret. The location is in paddocks just outside the suburb of Castlecliff on Manuka Street extension (-39.93356° 174.98814°).

P1790022.JPG
Plumed egret: note that the gape flange stops just below the eye (photo: © Lynne Douglas)
P1790022.JPG (51.31 KiB) Viewed 3471 times

P1790007.JPG
Plumed egret in flight: note the dark legs and feet (photo: © Lynne Douglas)
P1790007.JPG (46.53 KiB) Viewed 3471 times

P1790049.JPG
Plumed egret: although not particularly clear, this seems to show pale upper legs (photo: © Lynne Douglas)
P1790049.JPG (60.83 KiB) Viewed 3471 times

The only other possibility is cattle egret but from Lynne's description of its size (she was comparing it with a nearby white-face heron) and the photos she sent, Plumed Egret seems more likely. I'm sure that others will go out today to see if it is still there and to check this provisional identification.

Peter Frost
Last edited by Peter Frost on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian McLean

Re: Possible Plumed (Intermediate) Egret at Whanganui

Postby Ian McLean » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks Peter for the report & the excellent photos from Lynne Douglas.
When an Intermediate Egret was seen at Waitarua Reserve in Remuera, Auckland in 2006 one of the best indicators was the bird's size. The Intermediate Egret was exactly the same size as a White Faced Heron & there was fortunately always one of them nearby for a comparison !
Cheers
Ian
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 am

Looks pretty good for a plumed egret to my eyes Peter! Well done Lynne and thanks for getting the word out so quickly.
Peter Frost

Postby Peter Frost » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

To be honest, I'm still not sure. As you say, a lot depends on size. The more I look at the photographs that Lynne has sent (including another lot sent just now), the more I'm inclined towards cattle egret, because the neck just doesn't look long enough to me. Here is a photograph of the bird with two paradise ducks in the foreground.

P1790065.JPG
Size comparison of size between egret and 2 paradise duck; even allowing for the telescopic effect foreshortening the background, the bird looks to be too small for a plumed egret (photo: © Lynne Douglas)
P1790065.JPG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

Paul Gibson looked for the bird yesterday evening and this morning, and didn't manage to find it. It --- whatever 'it' is --- may have moved on. Paul's seen the same photos that Lynne sent me and he feels that it is a plumed egret, but I'm not so sure now. I know plumed egrets from Africa, but that is now around 15 years ago. There is something that just doesn't look quite right to me. For one, all the photos show the bird with a hunched posture, typical of cattle egret (except the one of the bird landing).

So, hold your horses until we have more information on where the bird is now (if possible). In the meantime, as Paul mentioned to me, with the big drought in Australia, an event that seems to trigger an upsurge in sightings of Australian waterbirds here, it may be worthwhile looking at all bodies of water for anything unusual, white or not, big or small. Watch this space...

Peter
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

Yeah I’ve just been chatting with others and the more we look at it closely the more it looks like a cattle.

Certainly based on that last photo I’d say it’s nowhere near big enough for an intermediate. So I’ll retract my earlier comment and suggest Cattle is probably correct.
AlanShaw

Re: Possible Plumed (Intermediate) Egret at Whanganui [probably Cattle Egret]

Postby AlanShaw » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Yes, I'd say Cattle Egret based on the long "jowl" shown particularly well in the "pale upper legs" photo.
Peter Frost

Postby Peter Frost » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 pm

I managed to speak to Lynne Douglas in the field on Friday (we were both out looking for the bird). After some discussion, I'm convinced that the bird was a Cattle Egret. Lynne agrees as she confirmed that the bird was smaller than a White-faced Heron, one of which was close by. Moreover, as noted by Alan, the jowl of feathers below the bill is quite characteristic of Cattle Egret. Whatever the case, the bird has moved on.

My apologies for getting some hearts beating, and at least one person getting ready to drive down to see/look for the bird. As I explained to him, when I saw the first few photos, I was still thinking of a relatively large bird (Lynne had originally phoned to say she though she had a White Heron in her sights) but the moment I saw the photograph of the head, it was obviously not a White Heron (gape too short), and my mind went immediately to Plumed/Intermediate Egret. I decided to post the sighting, given that the weekend was approaching and people might want to travel to see the bird before it went off somewhere else. If it was what I thought it might be at the time, I didn't want to be thought to be holding back the sighting until too late for others to see it.

Incidentally, there were 10 Cattle Egret this afternoon at Farm 44010 on the Whangaehu Beach Rd. This is a site to which small numbers of Cattle Egrets have returned every year since at least the late 1980s.

Peter
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 pm

I don't think you need to apologize for anything! Like you say, better to get info out as "possible" than not at all.
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Just looking at the photos, it is a Cattle Egret for sure. They have an almost magenta beak in breeding plumage, though this one isn't in BP, it has a deep orange beak. The head and neck together in a Plumed Egret equal the length of the body and this isn't true of this bird.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”