Marsh Sandpiper, Lake Ellesmere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
wazzagonewild

Marsh Sandpiper, Lake Ellesmere

Postby wazzagonewild » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 pm

I spotted a Marsh Sandpiper at the Jarvis Rd area, Lake Ellesmere yesterday evening. I went out to look for it again this afternoon and found it in the ponds just west of the access road. From looking at previous posts, it could be the same one seen in the area for a couple of years now. It was hanging out with pied stilts which were occasionally chasing it away, so I was able to clearly see the white rump patch extending up the back of the body. Terrible record photo with phone through binoculars included. Also counted at least 250 wrybill feeding on the mudflat and billions of annoying midges in the rank grass...

20180828_164138cropped.jpg
20180828_164138cropped.jpg (167.16 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
wazzagonewild

Re: Marsh Sandpiper, Lake Ellesmere

Postby wazzagonewild » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I had a brief look out at Embankment Rd this afternoon and saw 6 red-necked stints in amongst 30 dotterels and a fly-by of 5 bar-tailed godwit. Lots of birds present at the moment.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”