Green Point

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
ledzep

Green Point

Postby ledzep » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:22 pm

For those with weak stomachs easily liable to sea-sickness, it is possible to see seabirds off Green Point south of Titahi Bay near Porirua. On the way out from the carpark I had good views of a Reef Heron, which chased off a White-faced Heron at one point. No Skuas today. But in the channel between the mainland and Mana Island I spotted a Giant Petrel going north, a Buller's Albatross, another Albatross on the water that looks like a White-capped - see photos below (distant, a scope would have been good). A few Fluttering Shearwater, but the main item of interest was a group of at least 14 dark petrels sitting on the water, and gradually flying off. They were all dark, larger than Fluttering and smaller than the Giant Petrel that flew past - I'm going for Westland Black or possible White-chinned. Photos below but too hard to tell from the distance without a scope. A gannet flew past, three species of Shags, and plenty of Finches.
Gannett.jpg
Gannett.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Bullers.jpg
Bullers.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Albatross.jpg
Albatross.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
ledzep

Re: Green Point

Postby ledzep » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Additional photos.
WBlack.jpg
WBlack.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Reef Heron.jpg
Reef Heron.jpg (139.05 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
GiantPt.jpg
GiantPt.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
ledzep

Re: Green Point

Postby ledzep » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Photo of the group of dark shearwaters on the water (and Buller's Albatross top left).
Group.jpg
Group.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 1470 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”