New (for me) godwit roost near Tauranga

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

New (for me) godwit roost near Tauranga

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am

Hi all,

Since moving to Morrinsville (Which is slightly more 'east' than Cambridge), I've been meaning to explore the western reaches of the Tauranga Harbour a bit more. A newborn has cut into this ambition dramatically however the family and I did make a quick visit to the Bowentown/Athenree/Katikati area yesterday.

The shellbank cluster south of Bowentown (Scopable from the boat club)--which I affectionately refer to as "Lamba Shellbanks" (based on aerial view shape), were covered in SIPO and Black-backs for the most part along with a few other bits--but no brown objects (i.e. Godwit/Calidrids). As usual, there were thousands of Black Swan scattered across the bay.

We then swung around the harbour to Tuapiro Point which is always a pleasant place to visit, with whispering pine forest, banded rails, and splendid harbour views. On a falling tide, you can often scope very distant godwits gathering on far away shellbanks or sometimes on the nearshore NE of the point. What surprised me, was a large roosting godwit flock on the inside of the point as we drove in to the reserve. If this is a regular roosting site, I've never noticed it before! There are always a few stilts and oystercatchers around at high tide but I had assumed (and been told) that the majority of barwit roosts are boat-access only in the Tauranga Harbour. This was a 2m HT which is about as high as it gets here so it may not be just a temporary subroost that gets inundated during higher tides.

This may be old news to some locals but in case it's a new thing to anyone, here is a map showing (red dot) the location of the roost (1300+ Bar-tailed Godwit, 60+ stilts, and 15+ knot). The bay is shallow enough to wade from the Tuapiro Reserve carpark, otherwise you can scan from the road as well.
Tuapiro.PNG
Tuapiro.PNG (914.79 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

Also enjoyed a blustery (but warm) walk along the river in Katikati, with the highlight being 3 fernbird.

Russ, Lisa (& Alex) Cannings
rukuhia

Re: New (for me) godwit roost near Tauranga

Postby rukuhia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm

I noticed the same thing occurred on a tide higher than 1.9 metres at Matahui point. They roost on the point and then when the water is too high they fly around the harbour south toward Aongatete and roost in an inaccessible area. The point is a great site to watch the birds come in as it is relatively close to shore and able to check for Hudson or black tails as they fly in.
Bob Rigter
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 am

Hi Russ & Bob
Yep I stumbled across that site a few years ago. Interesting because it holds a few Knot which don't always show up at other major roosts. It is great area as you say. Tauranga Harbour is massively under-surveyed probably due to its size and the difficulty in accessing key sites. I would love to know where the Sandpipers, Wrybills and smaller waders roost. I have found them on the inner side of Matakana island but the tides, harbour conditions and distances make it a real mission. Omokoroa can be good too.

So much territory to explore. Personally speaking, I think you should continue your easterly migration to Katikati Russ ... you know you want to.

Great to hear Alex is already being brought into the birding fold.

All the best,

Tim
foxbirds

Postby foxbirds » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am

At Omokoroa on the Tinopai sandbank which is on the south side there have been about 4000 Godwits and the Oystercatchers are building up nicely.

Cheers Allan.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Any Wrybill and Banded dotterel there Allan?
foxbirds

Postby foxbirds » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Tim. I have only seen 3 Wrybills ever and the Banded Dotterels Come from mid Feb to mid Aug. The Godwit numbers are good this year compared
To last.

Good Birding Tim.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 pm

foxbirds wrote:At Omokoroa on the Tinopai sandbank which is on the south side there have been about 4000 Godwits and the Oystercatchers are building up nicely. Cheers Allan.

Cheers Allan, Are you talking about the sandbank right by the holiday park? Or is that the more remote spits south of Motuhoa Island?

Will have to check it some time,

Russ
foxbirds

Postby foxbirds » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 am

Hi Russ. I think its Cooney reserve you are talking about, so if you go into the carpark and take the walkway heading west for about 600mtrs till you get to a couple of bridges that is quite a good view of the sandbar. ( not always good on these big tides).

Cheers Allan.
8-3-2012.JPG
Tinopai Sandbank
8-3-2012.JPG (233.59 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 pm

That's great Allan,

Went to Cooneys once on a high tide and only saw a couple VOCs so great to see it's generally more action packed!

Russ

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”