Black Fantail - South Manakau, Lower North Island

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Bellerara

Black Fantail - South Manakau, Lower North Island

Postby Bellerara » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi,
Very new to this forum but we live on 23acres north of Otaki with stand of about an acre of protected undisturbed native bush. There is a lot of native birds here and we particularly enjoy the fantails - and today we spotted a black fantail which upon researching appears to be very rare in the north island, we are reasonably inland towards the tararua ranges.

Just thought I would pop that up here incase it was of any interest to the group.

If I had realised it was so rare we would have taken a pic as being a fantail it was uber curious around us and the horses.

Beckysue

Re: Black Fantail - South Manakau, Lower North Island

Postby Beckysue » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm

We're at Manakau Village, Horowhenua and just spotted a black fantail in our garden! It flitted around the garden and then flew next door. Very exciting! We had no idea black fantails existed. Yay!!
drheine

Re: Black Fantail - South Manakau, Lower North Island

Postby drheine » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 pm

I have seen a black fantail at Greendale reserve, Paraparaumu some months ago. I will look out for them in the area following this discussion.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”