Tattler and Curlew Sandpiper at Mangere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
phil hammond

Tattler and Curlew Sandpiper at Mangere

Postby phil hammond » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 pm

At the beginning of the causeway at Mangere across from the intersection of the causeway and Mark Ford Drive, between 8 and 9 pm this evening among about 1000 barwits, 1500 or so Red Knots [ rough estimate not a count] and 30 or 40 Wrybill was a Curlew Sand and a Tattler. I only had the Tattler in my scope for a few seconds and in fading light. It was 100% a Tattler---yellow legs, longish strait bill and unmistakable overall tattler jizz, but I didn't have enough light or time on the bird to be sure which one it was.

Given the history at this spot Grey tailed would seem more likely, but I think this one might be a wandering.
I base that on 1. it was about the size of the least bulky knots but the grey-tailed that I have seen in knot flocks have been immediately noticeable as being smaller, and 2. I thought there was about the right amount of grey wash on the flanks for a wandering and too much for grey tailed. In the circumstances I didn't reach a conclusion about extent of supercilium or overall darkness. It didn't call

If anyone else gets a longer look at it I would love to hear

Tomorrow or Wed morning about an hour after high tide the birds should fly in to feed on the ebbing tide [very small tides again]. I don't think tomorrow evening will be much chop as the light will probably be gone before the tide ebbs far enough

btw---there were about 70 or more Black-billed gulls in the canal

Phil Hammond
Wrybill Birding Tours NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Christopher

Re: Tattler and Curlew Sandpiper at Mangere

Postby Christopher » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm

2 tattlers and Curlew sandpiper today, as well as 3 Whimbrel, 3 Banded dots and 11 turnstone. All were on or around the last spit by the hide. Still time to view them in the next few hours if anyone’s around.

I’ve got some ok photos of the tattlers through a scope, will post them soon. One bird had a more prominent/darker grey across its chest than the other, though I think both had a white eye band extending past the eye. Hopefully the photos will be clear enough to prove things one way or the other...

Chris
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Some photos of the tattlers. The only slight difference between the birds from the naked eye was that one seemed to had a slightly darker shade of grey that covered a little more of its chest than the other, but I'm far from an expert on tattlers so would be interested to here others' thoughts. Personally I think they're both Grey Tailed, but open to being persuaded otherwise!
IMG_5406.jpg
This is bird is different to the ones in the other photos.
IMG_5406.jpg (573.32 KiB) Viewed 813 times
IMG_5329.jpg
IMG_5329.jpg (415.89 KiB) Viewed 813 times
IMG_5300.jpg
IMG_5300.jpg (673.02 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Another couple of photos
IMG_5364.jpg
One more of a tattler
IMG_5364.jpg (773.33 KiB) Viewed 813 times
IMG_5477.jpg
Curlew Sandpiper
IMG_5477.jpg (601.38 KiB) Viewed 813 times
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Went out to the hide this morning on a rising tide, where the whimbrels were showing well. The tattlers not so much - eventually found one roosting up the back of the rear shellbank, not easy viewing with a stiff breeze coming off the sea and some heat haze as well as the distance; it was faced permanently into the wind and away from us, so never did get a decent view of it front-on. But it definitely had a white eyebrow that extended well behind the eye, so I'm picking grey-tailed - I suspect it was the bird in the first of Christopher's photos. Didn't see the curlew sandpiper, but birds were still arriving when we left.
Whimbrel Mangere 07012019.JPG
Whimbrel Mangere 07012019.JPG (551.6 KiB) Viewed 716 times
stefan

Postby stefan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Both whimbrels and at least one tattler still present at the hide this evening.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Checked the hide roost briefly this afternoon (The place was crawling with loud non-birders so we didn't stay long). Didn't see any tattlers or the Curlew Sand but picked out 1 Whimbrel, 1 turnstone, and 1 RN Stint among the horde. 2 Brown Teal were along the sewage canal.
alisterharlow

Postby alisterharlow » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:48 pm

One Whimbrel on the shellbank opposite the hide today around noon on the edge of the godwit/knot group. Several flagged godwits and knots. Wrybill numbers around the 500 mark.
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Both Grey-tailed Tattlers were still present at 11am this morning. One of them is in partial breeding plumage, the other might be too but I only saw the second one briefly before the disappeared over a ridge

They were on "long Shell Island"---that's the one nearest the hide. They were toward the NW end of the island about 150m from the hide with Stilts and about 100 barwits

No Wrybill were visible from the hide this morning---they were 200 -300m to the east on "Big Shell Island"

Phil Hammond
Wrybill Birding Tours NZ
Great birds, Real birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”