Glossy Ibis at Spider Lagoon, South Canterbury

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Paul Sagar

Glossy Ibis at Spider Lagoon, South Canterbury

Postby Paul Sagar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 am

Just back from an early morning visit to Spider Lagoon where I was pleased to see 1 Glossy Ibis in full breeding plumage, feeding in a paddock along with SIPO, Pied Stlits, Mallards and Paradise Shelducks.

The birds were in a paddock adjacent to the north-western side of the lagoon. I spotted the ibis when I scanned the birds after walking along the beach to the pond which lies at the northern end of the lagoon.

A full list of birds seen has been submitted to eBird
Adam C

Re: Glossy Ibis at Spider Lagoon, South Canterbury

Postby Adam C » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Nice its still in Breeding kit. Is Spider Lagoon the one just South of the Orari mouth Paul?
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Paul Sagar

Re: Glossy Ibis at Spider Lagoon, South Canterbury

Postby Paul Sagar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Adam,
Yep, access is by the road to Browns Beach. Turn off SH1 at Winchester School and keep on until you reach the sea.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”