Juan Fernandez petrel, Cook Strait

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Juan Fernandez petrel, Cook Strait

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Kia ora

A group of us were fishing north-west of Mana Island this morning when a Juan Fernandez petrel flew past. I had seen it in the distance and picked it as a large Pterodroma, and was surprised when it approached closer and banked to reveal its pure white underwing with no noticeable carpal bar. Sorry no photos (I had an albacore on the line).

Other birds much as expected (white-capped mollymawk, flesh-footed shearwater, Buller's shearwater, sooty shearwater, fluttering shearwater, gannet, southern black-backed gull and white-fronted tern). No marine mammals seen.

Nga mihi nui
Colin
Tim Barnard

Re: Juan Fernandez petrel, Cook Strait

Postby Tim Barnard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Great find Colin ... but did you land the fish ...
Colin Miskelly

Re: Juan Fernandez petrel, Cook Strait

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Ha! I think that was one that a mako got half of while I was distracted. But the action was fast and furious (5 albacore on 5 lines at the time), so our planned 2-night trip was curtailed as the chilly bins were full.

Cheers
Colin

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”