rooks

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
wghabbott

Re: rooks

Postby wghabbott » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm

I doubt if the regional council needs our help to find them. You just drive up the highway.
Hypno

Postby Hypno » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Jan wrote:It is a pity that people post these sightings which give regional councils info. to target a very intelligent, mainly harmless species that doesn't warrant such eradication. Magpies are also introduced and in large numbers in some areas where they have a nasty effect on native birds, but because they don't affect crops we don't eradicate them. I think this is entirely wrong.

we could could come with an an Alias for the bird to protect from a rangers google searches
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 pm

I was just look at this older post. And I can not believe that they are still killing them all these Birds are harmless they are not doing the damage that people are saying they do. They are no worse than all the sparrows we have in New Zealand. And what we have left out there will be doing absolutely no impact on the Farmers crops of any type at all. We all know this. We once had a crow in New Zealand is now gone so if that was still alive would that be wiped out also. I have hundreds of fruit trees on my property every year I lose thousands of fruit to Silver eyes sparrows Blackbird starlings what will you all do about those species they're doing a lot more damage then the Rooks. Some people get on the bandwagon kill the rocks and their followers all follow and just say the same thing just to be on board. But that's my say what about a group of us got together and can prove the birds and not doing the damage they think will it all stop..

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”