Crimson rosella, Kaikorai, Dunedin

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Crimson rosella, Kaikorai, Dunedin

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi folks

Report received via NZ Birds Online of a crimson rosella seen twice in the last month at Kaikorai, Dunedin.

Cheers
Colin
Deane

Re: Crimson rosella, Kaikorai, Dunedin

Postby Deane » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm

I wish I'd seen this comment in 2015 Colin is correct these crimson rosellas were mine .I was building an avery for them and had to get more materials for it .When I arrived home someone had smashed the cage and let the 2 rosellas go free .They were both males so unless they met a eastern they would be unlikely to breed.If anyone has spotted them I love to hear from you.Glenross st is where the were released from .
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi Dean,
Sorry to hear you lost the birds. Seems like a strange, malicious thing for someone to do. Are there still crimsons in captivity in NZ?
les

Postby les » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Yes Neil,they are still present in the aviaries of newzealand,albeit not the most common but still being bred by a few enthusiasts.I think the main breeding problems are due to inbreeding and tried unsucessfully to breed any from 4 or 5 different pairs over a number of years.Other people seem to get them and have no problem?I also had a free flying pair due to a faulty door latch,but the neighbours cat got one of them in a few days and the as for the other???

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”