Piako Flood Plain Today

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Re: Piako Flood Plain Today

Postby Adam C » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:41 pm

Glossy Ibis aren't real. They're alien spy droids built to avoid detection and report Intel back to planet X. :D
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Yes Adam, a couple of us were there today late morning, and with the high tide approaching, nearly everything left. 20 minutes before H T, there were only the Teal left. About 80 minutes before high tide, there was one Black-t Godwit, 3 F E Curlew, c300 Grey Teal, Wrybill, 49 R Spoonbill and Pied Stilts. The Ibis was once again, conspicuous by its absence.

Cheers, Grahame
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Yep one bird I can't pin down around Christchurch either!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Visited the site around mid tide Saturday (so too early for the arctic wader roost), however the local Cattle Egret flock was conspicuous (11 at least) in amongst some cows east of Campbell Rd. I put my scope on them and there was Mr Ibis poking around too. Later saw it flying with 5 egrets to another paddock closer to the hwy. Obviously still associated with the white dudes.

Russ and Lisa C

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”