Experienced NZ birders - thoughts about what I saw?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Jim Smoke

Experienced NZ birders - thoughts about what I saw?

Postby Jim Smoke » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Back in 1994, I was on a tour of NZ with a friend. Whilst driving in Fiordland, possibly the road to Milford Sound, but I could be wrong about that, we stopped for a call of nature.

I spotted a wren on the ground, in amongst scree, with a prominent eyebrow stripe. I've looked at many photos of riflemen and rock wrens, and time has eroded my memory as to other distinguishing features, so I'm pretty reliant on the approximate locality and the habitat.

Impossible for anybody to say for sure, but which of the two does it feel more probable that it was? I can try to provide more details, if these can be of help.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Experienced NZ birders - thoughts about what I saw?

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi Jim. Welcome to the site.
On the ground + scree + eyebrow stripe + road to Milford = rock wren. That's what I'd put my money on.
Neil
Jim Smoke

Postby Jim Smoke » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Thanks Neil - that was my feeling, too, but having read that rock wrens can be difficult to find, I was wondering if it was an unlikely stroke of luck? From memory, this was pretty close to the road, but particularly back then (the month was June), that road wasn't carrying much traffic volume, so wouldn't have been much of a disturbance, I'm thinking...
AlanShaw

Postby AlanShaw » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:18 pm

Yes Jim, that sounds like Rock Wren, probably in the same area near the Homer Tunnel where this bird was videoed by me in 2005:--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ggwlfOCGk
Jim Smoke

Postby Jim Smoke » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:36 am

Thanks Alan - that looks extremely similar habitat to what I remember. Would it be unusual to see a rifleman in that kind of environment?
AlanShaw

Postby AlanShaw » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:15 am

Yes, Jim, it would be extremely unusual. Rifleman frequent forests and that habitat there is at high altitude, above the tree line.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”