Northern Shoveler at Bromley Oxidation Ponds

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

Re: Northern Shoveler at Bromley Oxidation Ponds

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 pm

The Northern Shoveler drake and its (NZ?) lady friend were in fact present late this morning at the usual spot. They must have disappeared sometime around noon if Adam didn't find them because they'd been <10m offshore from the roadside bank when I saw them.

We don't have any detectable influx of waterfowl on CHCH wetlands during the duck shooting season but there will be movement when more autumnal rain comes and the currently quite dry soils become waterlogged and ephemeral surface water ponding occurs. I agree, Garganey is a real contender for reaching NZ and if we scrutinise large waterfowl flocks in the same way we scrutinise wader flocks these and various Australian ducks are sure to eventually be picked up.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 pm

That's good to hear Andrew. Must be moving back and forth between the ponds/Estuary a bit. Have noticed huge numbers of ducks on the Avon in the past during duck season so thought this would apply to other areas that aren't open but perhaps not. We're always learning!
Righto so the Garganey challenge is on! It's a long shot but it's good fuel to scan those mallards, Hybrids and Teal!

Interesting looking at size. At first I thought how are you going to seperate a female easily from a mallard/hybrid grey on the water but then realised they are half the size. Guess a female is going to look like a miniature female mallard/grey hybrid probably associating with similar sized teal. Be great to get another bird in the NZ bird books. Its a far stretch..but if we don't look...

Right this old bird geek's going to stop boring everyone to death! ;) 8-)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
GrahameNZ

Postby GrahameNZ » Thu May 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Has anyone had a good look at his girlfriend?
I'm not suggesting she is a northern cos she isn't.
Nowhere near light enough and the white fringing around the feathers should be wider.
But she does have an interesting bill colour.
Doesn't matter what light conditions I've looked at her in but it has quite a bit of orange.
I've yet to get a passable full frontal of her to see just how orange.
They both seem to spend a lot of time "sleeping"
I wonder if this is the attraction :)
I've seen a similar bird 7 or 8 yrs ago.
Anyone else seen similar or has a good shot of her to share.
Both pics from yesterday and really heavy crops.
This may be of interest to some
https://cmboviewfromthecape.blogspot.co ... r-not.html

Northern-Shoveler-Female_GNZ20190501-0067.jpg
Northern-Shoveler-Female_GNZ20190501-0067.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

Northern-Shoveler_GNZ20190501-0054.jpg
Northern-Shoveler_GNZ20190501-0054.jpg (133.68 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Thu May 02, 2019 4:58 pm

By the way, while the field guide has overlooked it, we had a female Northern Shoveler accepted by the RBC along with a male in the 1980s near Whanganui. The bird was noticeably paler than female Aust shovelers and the paler tail feathers were obvious. There's a description in an article of Notornis if it's helpful to anyone wanting to string one along...

https://www.notornis.osnz.org.nz/northern-shovelers-near-wanganui

Cheers, Phil
bdarlow

Postby bdarlow » Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Male Northern Shoveler on the same Bromley pond as originally reported by Adam at 12.20 today. Still with a female which he seemed to shielding from a male Australasian Shoveler.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon May 20, 2019 6:42 pm

(edited to fit Andrews map below)...I was actually starting to confuse myself! :)

Finally caught up with him again this morning. Although he was right down the South end of pond 3 (near the channel into pond 4) with 2 other male Australasians and 3 females. Going into more eclipse form now.
A lot of shoveler have been constantly feeding at the outlet on the North-East corner of pond 2A (other side of the road) all week too. Also interesting to see pond 1 almost empty.

Also went for a look at the Pegasus Wetlands on Saturday morning. What a great stretch of waterways! (other than the scabby Lake Pegasus itself) Im sure the Northern Shoveler reported by Bev was there but so were about 500 other shoveler all with their heads tucked under their wings! Needle in a haystack material!
Last edited by Adam C on Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Here's a map of the Bromley Oxidation Ponds showing the numbers of each pond. It might help folks navigate better!!

bromley map.JPG
bromley map.JPG (62.89 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Interesting to note the very large numbers of Scaup at both Bromley and Pegasus at the moment. As a winter mission I've been trying to pull a white eyed duck out of them but no luck.

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon May 20, 2019 9:47 pm

We've had White-eyed Duck at Bromley before (as well as Chestnut Teal, Australian Wood Duck twice, Chestnut-breasted Shelduck 5 or 6 times), so instead of those how about........Magpie Goose, Plumed Whistling Duck, Wandering Whistling Duck, Musk Duck, Blue-billed Duck, Pink-eared Duck, , Freckled Duck, Northern Pintail or Garganey?! Its time we started picking up these amongst the big flocks of Scaup, Shoveler and Grey Teal......
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Totally agree Andrew. Its also a good reason to get out there over winter when the likes of Ellesmere/Ashley Arctic migrants are quiet. Just as addictive although the 'nuggets' are harder to find but probably more rewarding. If we are going to add a new bird to the NZ list my moneys on a vagrant duck species.

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”