Male Northern Shoveler at Pegasus Wetland (north of Christchurch)

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Bev Alexander

Male Northern Shoveler at Pegasus Wetland (north of Christchurch)

Postby Bev Alexander » Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi Folks,
There was a male Northern Shoveler at the northern end of the wetland late afternoon today. Owing to failing light was unable to see if it has a mate. There was a good number of Aust Shoveler & other water birds so was able to compare. I saw the Nth Shoveler at Bromley last week & saw the 1 at Lake Ellesmere last year, so am familiar with the species.
Happy birding. Bev.
Davidthomas

Re: Male Northern Shoveler at Pegasus Wetland (north of Christchurch)

Postby Davidthomas » Sun May 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Do you think it was a different bird from the one seen at Bromley?

It would appear Greg McKenzie saw the male at Bromley again today so either he’s returned from a wee sojourn somewhere else or there are two different birds.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 pm

There was 2 reported at Ellesmere wasn't there this year or end of last. Looks like we've tracked both of them down :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Bev Alexander

Postby Bev Alexander » Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I did go & have look for the bird this afternoon with out success. There were far fewer Aust. Shoveler, Scaup, Mallards etc than I saw last night I will have another look tomorrow. There were a lot of birds flying around. (Duck shooting season?)
Cheers. Bev.
Bev Alexander

Postby Bev Alexander » Mon May 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Another visit today but didn't see the Nth Shoveler. There were over 100 Aust Shoveler, only 7 Scaup & few Mallards. Will keep watching.
AngryBird45

Postby AngryBird45 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:03 am

Northern Shoveler still here, in the main pond/lake.
133 birds on my life list since 17 June 2020, latest bird Common Tern.
93 birds on my 2024 year list as of 6:50pm 13 January, latest bird Indian Peafowl.

15 y/o birder from the Waimak and Paradise Shelduck campaigner: facebook.com/paradiseshelduck.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”