Possible Little Egret near Bridge St, Chritchurch

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
scaber

Possible Little Egret near Bridge St, Chritchurch

Postby scaber » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:38 pm

I was out mountain biking with the boys today riding alongside the Avon Rover just North of the Bridge Street bridge and glanced up to see a small white 'heron' with a most distinctive sharply pointed, black beak. It was flying along the river towards the oxidation ponds, and perhaps the paddock area further along Dyers road.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this in this general location to confirm this sighting? Giving it a confidence number, I would guess at around 60% reliability in my observation and identification. I'm going to go back later today or tomorrow and try to locate it again to get a more reliable observation.
Greg Mckenzie
Adam C

Re: Possible Little Egret near Bridge St, Chritchurch

Postby Adam C » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Be an interesting one to follow up. Nice spotting if it is!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Re: Possible Little Egret near Bridge St, Chritchurch

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I've been around the Avon-Heathcote Estuary several times in recent weeks but not spotted a Little Egret, but hopefully there's one drifting around somewhere?

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”