possible Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
phil hammond

possible Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Postby phil hammond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 pm

So this is old and a bit vague ---my info is a week old and third hand, but there was a report of a Yellow-billed Spoonbill near the tip of the south Manukau peninsular near Big Bay about a week ago. It has not been seen there since

From what I've read about this species they are rarely seen in salt water

just a heads up

cheers
Phil
TheBirderman

Re: possible Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Postby TheBirderman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi Phil

I believe we need more info on this - did anyone take a photograph of it?
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am

Probably not forthcoming based on Phil's description Tommy but let's home someone's intrepid and lucky enough to track it down and confirm!

There are several raupo-fringed freshwater wetlands on the Awhitu Peninsula that are scopable from public roads. That would be the best place to start.

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 am

I spoke to soon--apparently there are photos. Hopefully this should shed more (yellow) light on the situation!
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 pm

I also have not seen the photo nor has the person that phoned me.

I and friends had doubts about the Tokaanu report 18 months ago, but still went on what turned out to be a fizzer - just in case

I know of several birders, including Noel Ward and I a few days ago, that have been out looking and think it's worth a go. I spent another 6 hours today checking out ponds, ditches, wet paddocks, a lake and anything else I could think of.

Of course each place I went to was probably a 1000 to 1 or less chance ---but that's my idea of fun

I checked Mangere storage basin and rainwater ponds, Puhinui Reserve, a lot of wet areas around Otaua and then up the Awhitu Peninsular .

The day wasn't wasted though. at Puhinui there were Brown Teal chicks, at Hoods Landing I had a good long close view of a Bittern preening, I found the Otaua Cattle Egret flock [22 in one flight but there may have been others elsewhere] and checked to see if there was anything bigger hanging out with them, and before light ran out I had made it to the lovely wetland at Awhitu Regional Park which is dripping with Fernbirds. Lots of side roads and scoping from high points along the way.

No Y B Spoonbill----but it's a big bird and they fly long distances-----could still be on the peninsular somewhere out of sight or 100s of km away by now---worth people keeping an eye out in their areas

Phil Hammond
Wrybill Birding Tours NZ
"great Birds, Real Birders"
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:29 am

I still haven't seen the photo but I understand it's not conclusive and may be of a Royal with tricky light reflecting on to it

I for one was glad of the original alert---I will ALWAYS welcome "possible" sightings made in good faith

cheers
Phil
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:11 am

Through the grapevine I have heard that the photo is of a Royal Spoonbill with light reflecting off the bill so that it appears pale. Have not seen it myself but am satisfied with the answer.

Ian

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”