Japanese/Latham's Snipe

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Suzi

Japanese/Latham's Snipe

Postby Suzi » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:16 am

95% sure I saw a Japanese Snipe this morning (about 9.20am) on our property in Upper Waiwera.

(I have seen Snipe before on birding trips in Queensland and Equador).

It was mottled brown with a white belly and the long beak particularly caught my eye - very surprised to see a wader here.

It was flushed with 4 Pukeko when I went to feed our dairy goat bucks who occupy two small scrubby paddocks on the edge of our bush. These have boggy wet patches and are in a sheltered area, next to the neighbour's very tussocky, damp paddocks. 150m below in the valley is a large wetland area, rushes etc

When flushed it flew right, onto the neighbour's property, and I'm unable to see it there.

I wonder if it is part of an eruption of Snipe from northeast Australia which I see has happened before.
phil hammond

Re: Japanese/Latham's Snipe

Postby phil hammond » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:22 am

When you flushed it, if it flew in a zigzag manner that would be another indication of a snipe sp

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”