Dabchicks - Western Springs, Auckland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Nakilad

Dabchicks - Western Springs, Auckland

Postby Nakilad » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 pm

This morning I saw four dabchicks feeding at Western Springs. One was within meters of the lake edge, the others were in the middle of the lake so I couldn't tell if they were a family or not. It was a treat to see one up close. The spoonbills were also roosting in their trees, and quite a few people were taking photos of them. If you were one of them can you confirm if you saw the dabchicks as well? I don't see them there very often,if at all. I also saw a pied shag battling to swallow a large-ish eel.

Also, as instructed at the last Auckland NZ Birds meeting, I reprimanded a guy who was heading toward the geese with a loaf of perfectly good bread. I did recently find out that parks maintenance contractors go around the park in breeding season destroying eggs to try and control the geese numbers. It's something I guess.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
RussCannings

Re: Dabchicks - Western Springs, Auckland

Postby RussCannings » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Nakalid,

I've only stopped by there a couple times but usually see 1 or 2 pairs of dabchick (they raised 'grebelets' there last summer I believe).

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”