Little Tern/Enbankment rd

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
mikullashbee

Little Tern/Enbankment rd

Postby mikullashbee » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:16 pm

This morning while out looking for waders at the Embankment rd entrance of lake Ellesmere I had a Little Tern fly over calling constantly. A call I am not that familiar with so I got my camera on it quick and it was a Little Tern. My first one on the South Island. It gave a relatively brief appearance, a hundred odd meters from the lakes edge over the flooded area along the fence line, before continuing in the direction of Wolfes rd. I did manage a record shot of the bird that I will attach here.
Good birding
Mike Ashbeehttps://mikeashbee.smugmug.com
[img]
Little%20Tern.jpg
[/img]
Little Tern.jpg
Little Tern.jpg (305.1 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Adam C

Re: Little Tern/Enbankment rd

Postby Adam C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:26 am

The Little Tern was present this morning at Embankment road. Flew past quite close but then settled with a bunch of spur winged plover and wouldn't let me get closer than about 300 -400yards. Some very fuzzy long distance shots attached.

Not a lot else other than a decent gang of 27 dark legged Stint (presumed all RNS). The Lake level has definitely dropped!

No sign of the Marsh Sand but a lot of birds visible on the flats down at Jarvis road end. Everything was very spooky this morning but there was a vehicle in front of me so they may have seen more than I did although I didn't catch up with driver/birder.
Little Tern f.jpg
Little Tern f.jpg (667.77 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”