Embankment Road: 2019/20 Season

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Re: Embankment Road: 2019/20 Season

Postby Adam C » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Quick pop in to Embankment road between jobs today. Not ideal conditions being midday with a very stiff easterly but managed to count 53 Red Necked Stint which I think is pretty close to the last big count I got here about 5 weeks back. The last twice I have been out there have been around the 30 mark so good to see the whole 'heard' again. A few colouring up nicely but the bulk just looking a lot more contrasty and 'scaled' compared to their normal grey non-breeding kit. No sign of any other Arctic migrants or Godwit but approx 100 Wrybill and 'Heaps' of Bandies about. I didn't stay long and only covered the end of the fence line
Red RNS1.jpg
Red RNS1.jpg (336.51 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Red RNS 2.jpg
Red RNS 2.jpg (383.69 KiB) Viewed 211 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Just as a side note. Weird how saturated these look on here unlike originals. I'm not usually this clumsy in post pro! Something going on in the upload cruncher?
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Nice to escape the 'situation' for a while today and spend a stunning morning out at Embankment Road, Lake Ellesmere. Had a magical encounter with over a thousand Welcome swallows all zipping around one particular area and using the famous fence line as a roost. There were several on each post and hundreds all over the ground and in the air. Main highlights were 5 Cape Barren Geese out wide on the lake, 39 Red Necked Stint with a lot of birds showing breeding colours now. 41 Red Knot and 43 Bar Tailed Godwits. Also present was the speedy Grey-Tailed Tattler. Fantastic to see it again! Also bumped into another birder from Ashburton. Great to meet you Don!
RNS BR 1f.jpg
RNS BR 1f.jpg (506.36 KiB) Viewed 94 times
GT Tattler 1f.jpg
GT Tattler 1f.jpg (583.58 KiB) Viewed 94 times
CBGs 1.jpg
CBGs 1.jpg (360.07 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”