Possible Fork Tailed Swift at Orangihina in Te Atatu, Auckland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian McLean

Possible Fork Tailed Swift at Orangihina in Te Atatu, Auckland

Postby Ian McLean » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Kia ora
Whilst undertaking cryptic bird monitoring for Birds New Zealand & Community Waitakere at Orangihina in Te Atatu, Auckland yesterday, myself & two others sighted what is very likely a Fork Tailed Swift.
At 9.15am, we spotted a swift like bird soaring 10 metres above us with six Welcome Swallows. The swift was approx at least 25% larger in body size than the Welcome Swallows, had longer scimitar shaped wings & a long forked tail. The color was all dark black & there appeared to be mottled dark grey feathers on its breast. There were no white feathers on its throat & the forked tailed discounted it being a White Throated Needletail.
We only saw the bird for approx 6 seconds or so before it flew quickly over the saltmarsh in a northerly direction towards Hobsonville. Unfortunately we have no photos, but I am confident that we saw a Fork Tailed Swift & I will be submitting a UBR (Unusual Bird Report) to the Birds New Zealand. Other birds seen during our visit included one Australasian Bittern/Matuku in flight & at least two Fernbird.
Please look out for swifts if you are in the Auckland & Northland regions.
Regards
Ian McLean

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”