Glossy ibis return

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Clinton9

Re: Glossy ibis return

Postby Clinton9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:33 pm

That is because glossy ibises had gone to their breeding colony, and are started to lay eggs now, so you have to wait until January when they return with their chicks to where you been looked for. Chicks don't fly strongly until January when about 1 1/2 month old.

Will Parsons wrote:The glossy ibis seemed to have disappeared again and have not visited there main feeding paddock and there is no sign of them alongside the Royal spoonbill on the settling ponds. :(
Bill F Cash

Postby Bill F Cash » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:52 pm

The Glossy Ibis are back at there breeding site on the island in the middle of the Sewage Pond at the end of Hardings Rd.
This morning I counted six glossy ibis on the island along with 67 Royal Spoonbills.
The Royal Spoonbills I am positive are nesting over the last few weeks I have seen numerous adults fly in with nesting material and although very distance there look to be a number of Royal Spoonbills sitting on nests.
The Glossy Ibis may also be nesting, they are extremely difficult to see as they looked to be tucked right in under the Ngaio trees. It was only when royal spoonbill landed almost on top of them and they all took flight did I realise they were even there. They did a half circle and quickly landed back at the same spot, the exact same spot where infact they nested last season. For that reason I think they may already be nesting as well. Just six birds were sighted hopefully more will turn up over the next couple of weeks. As this is just a fraction of the total number of Glossy Ibis sighted in Marlborough over the last few weeks.
Bill.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Great news Bill thanks for the follow up as I checked that area last Friday and saw nothing.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 pm

1ibis seen Sunday circling main feeding paddock on Dillons Point road.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Saw 2 ibis at 7.55 tonight flying north towards Rarangi over lower Opaoa river. Also 1 Royal spoonbill with bands yellow or pink over red a nd on lower leg silver. Also 10 SIPOC flying north of lower Wairau lagoon on Saturday. ;)
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:42 pm

At least 9 glossy ibis on the island today, including one juvenile bird that was visible for a minute or so and what appeared to be multiple nests, suggesting they are breeding here successfully again.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:50 pm

There was a single glossy ibis at the end of Dillon's Point Road this afternoon, in a field/backyard with long grass directly behind a house.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:10 am

Spotted 6 glossy ibis flying over lower Opaoa river 2 days ago. Also have 1 white heron on river boundary.
Jake

Glossy ibis return

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:43 pm

15 ibis were reported by Dan B on the nesting island on 28 Sept 2021.
https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S95282105

I had finally spotted Banded Rail this evening, after months of trying at Beacon Road: I was plugging it into ebird and came by his notes.

You can just make out their nesting site from Beacon Rd, so waited and sure enough, 15 of the buggers came by. Heck yes! A Rail and a flock of ibis! I was chasing Cirl Buntings and Redpolls around at work in the vineyards too... it's been a happy birdday.

Surely the ibis numbers are increasing: is this the fifth year of them colony-breeding? Where do they go? Foxton?
1060725.jpg
Banded Rail at Beacon Rd. - apologies for pic quality
1060725.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
1060768.jpg
Glossy Ibis - apologies for pic quality
1060768.jpg (155.92 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Jake

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:03 pm

They have definitely bred the previous three seasons - I'm not sure if anyone reported it here or not. And from what I gather from ebird, their feeding paddock, where a lot of the really excellent pictures came from, is now a vineyard, so we've lost that prime viewing site

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”