Glossy ibis return

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
burgind

Re: Glossy ibis return

Postby burgind » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:46 am

It certainly is great to see the ibis back, and was fantastic to see them as the sun was setting from the lagoons. As to where they go to, it certainly remains an intriguing mystery.

On a side note Jake, please can you respond to my numerous emails regarding your Atlas checklists - if there is a better way to get hold of you please let me know (happy to chat on the phone, or indeed meet up in person here in Blenheim). There are a number of your checklists that have been sat in the review queue for quite a while, which are awaiting your response or changes. It makes our jobs as volunteer eBird reviewers much easier when our emails (or private messages on here) are responded to. Many thanks!
Jake

Postby Jake » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Six Glossies were one the breeding island today: and then flew off about 16:30. Before doing so, one was sunbathing with a wing stretched right up over its back. Also a tonne of spoonbill activity there: very active with their nesting materials now
Jake

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:32 pm

23 Glossy Ibis could be seen at the colony site today - if they're mostly breeders someone is bound to break the high-count. They're literally in the same spot as previous breeding seasons
Jake

Glossy ibis

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:22 pm

7 seen last weekend and at least 9 seen tonight. They are actively collecting nesting material. One had flown in with a small leafy branch plus at least one was seen collecting a twig/straw and a pulled out weedy plant, from their island, only c.2-4 m away from their nest. They're pretty much guaranteed for anyone thinking of making a trip to see them
Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Hey Dan, any word on the Ibis return to their usual spot?
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:07 am

I didn’t notice any ibis breeding with the Spoonbills at the Blenheim WTP the other day.
Hamish Johnston

Postby Hamish Johnston » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:34 pm

I couldn’t see any breeding on the 2nd of Nov but one flew over and landed out of sight in the paddock next to the carpark

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”